1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Temp gauge in my 94 GMC Going crazy!!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 94 Jimmy P/U, Dec 31, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U New Member

gauge was going hairwire when the thermostat went out (in 20* weather) i replaced the thermostat (& man its an oven in my C2500:great:) BUT THE GAUGE WENT BACK TO WORKING FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS . I Carried a load of Recaps to Ms to a customers shop while on I-55 The gauge laid over from 195* to Past 260* & Check gauge light came on .

Stopped on the shoulder of I-55 South thought my truck overheated. IT WAS FINE . Got to the customers shop i checked it again still fine . on the way back to Memphis to the Cap Shop on I-55 North bound the temp gauge went back to working for 10 minutes then back over past 260 again . it did like this again in the last couple of days . truck runs fine w/o overheating or using water but most of the time temp gauge lays past 260* & stays there w/ check gauge light on . then sometimes it will go back to working for a few minutes . This is a 5.7L 350 GM Yall.

is it time to replace this temp gauge w/ say a pillar mount temp gauge ? (what i been wanting anyway) or do i have other problems ?

Thanks Yall

Mack
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it might be the gauge and yes you should replace it and replace the sensor but if it continues it might be the tempture control valve my 96' tahoe has the oppisite problem it show the temp was low but the truck was always running hot.
  3. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U New Member

Thanks Conlan I Forgot to metion that i replaced the sensor also . I Had'nt thought of the tempture control valve. ill call the parts store later to see if they have 1 in stock.

Thanks

Mack (aka 94 Jimmy p/u)
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

no problem glad to help :glasses:
  5. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

Which sensor did you replace? temp sending unit located between #1 and#8 plug... or cts on intake.
    Both tied together ...cts will give a erratic gauge.
  6. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U New Member

@ dipstick: i replaced both sensors . so when i replaced both this cause the gauge to go erratic ? what can i do to solve this problem ?

Replace CTS On intake ?

Mack
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

You might want to check the wire going from the temperature switch on the cylinder head to the gauge. Also, the stepper motor in the gauge itself could be bad. You could fix that with a replacement motor and soldering iron.
  8. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U New Member

Thanks Chirs Will check on those also . :)

Mack
  9. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U New Member

Been Kinda cool & raining on & off here the last few days & dont have access to a shop (that has room for me to pull my truck in ) weather suspossed to be better this week gonna check the wire asap & will let yall know .

Mack
  10. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

When you say you replaced both.. thought you only have one sending unit.

Yes replace cts on intake.
    Probably did old post.