1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Temp Gauge Not working Properly ~ 2005 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by biglinc1, Jan 1, 2011.

1. biglinc1

biglinc1 New Member

I have an 05 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L, and yesterday I had to install a new battery, and after that everything was working just fine, but late last night when I started my truck, all the gauges did their "normal sweep", but the temp gauge went up to around 190-200 then dropped back to 160 and never moved again until I turned off the truck and restarted it. Same thing, the temp gauge goes up to normal operating temp, then drops back to 160 and lays there...

Not sure if the entire gauge cluster is going out, or just something with the temp gauge... Sure would like some info here - thanks guys...
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The Problem with your Temp Gauge is going to be either the Sending unit or the Stepper Motor for the Temp Gauge is going out/bad,

It is most likely the Stepper Motor going out.....which is a common problem on the 2003" to 2005"....Trucks and SUV's....How many miles are on your 05"

The Stepper Motor's are located on the back side of the Dash Cluster.....Circled in Red,

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

I had to replace the stepper motors on the Wife's 1500,4.8. She was having problems with the speedo. When I had the I/P out I replaced all the stepper motors. It's not hard to do. You do have to know how to solder & desolder( I used soderwick). I would recommend using a grounded soldering station to help guard against ESD. I dont know if there is a how to link on this forum, but I know there is at dieselplace.com. The motors Are $10 to $15 each and are all the same. I think I got from a place in Florida.

Good luck with your project:

Taddpole
  4. biglinc1

biglinc1 New Member

I started it this morning around 11:00 est, and drove it again tonight about 50 miles... It seems to be working properly now... (but how long that lasts, we'll have to see)... If its this stepper motor (which I'm not familiar with), I'll have to get the Chevrolet dealer to replace it, since I'm not mechanically inclined..

And the truck has just turned over 38k miles last week...
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

The Reason I asked about the Mileage......Is G.M. has a Special Coverage Adjustment for the 2003" to 2005"....Trucks and SUV's.....For the Dash Cluster's.....where the Gauges.....Stick,Flutter and become Inoperative......The Coverage is for 7 years or 70,000 Miles.....in which G.M/Chevy will replace your Dash Cluster at No Charge,

The Below link goes into Detail re-guarding this Coverage Adjustment,

http://www.gmspeedometerrecall.com/
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. biglinc1

biglinc1 New Member

thanks again.... sure appreciate the link - checking it out right now....

~mark
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. 38pont

38pont New Member

Howdy...Where is the sending unit for the temp gauge? Is it also the Engine Coolant Temp sensor or is there a separate sending unit for the gauge?
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

HI. Can you tell me what you had to do to change out the stepper motors. If I disconnect the cluster from the vehicle will the odomoter go back to zero miles? Can you hange out the stepper motors while the main harness is connected to the cluster? Did you change allthe illumination blubs while you did the motors and how involved is that?
    Thanks
    38Pont
  8. 38pont

38pont New Member

If I remove the instrument cluster, will I have to take the vehicle to the dealership to be reprogrammed? C an the vehicle be driven after reinstalling the cluster with new stepper motors installed?
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

If removing the Dash Cluster, to replace the Stepper Motors, with New Ones....than No your Dash Cluster will not need to be reprogrammed, and yes you can drive your Vehicle, after installing the New Stepper Motor's.

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I had the same issue as the original poster in my 05 yukon xl. It also happened after disconnecting the battery. I tested everything and it all tested good. So, for the heck of it I disconnected the battery for ten minutes and reconnected it. Problem fixed! This has happened few times when I disconnect the battery for one reason or another. Ever time disconnecting the battery and reconnecting fixes it.

As mike said, you just change them and reinstall the cluster. If you did it correctly everything will work. Alternatively, you can send it out and have it completely rebuilt for around $125, all new motors and bulbs.