1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Temp Gauge not working properly

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Jeff Brown, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

1st time poster here.

I have a 2006 Silverado. 4.8l V8.

My battery died today. Had to get a jump start to get home from work. Replaced the battery. I now notice my temp gauge is acting funny. The truck was at normal running temp. I turn on the key, the temp gauge goes up to about 200 where it should and then after maybe 5 seconds it goes back down to 160 and never moves.

Is there any connection between the dead battery and the gauge? Is it the temp sensor that is out? Should I have it scanned for codes?

Thanks!
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

:sign0016:To the Site Jeff.....It could be the Connection at the Temp Sensor, if the Temp Sensor and/or the Connection checks out Not to be problem.......then the Problem could and/or may be with the Stepper Motor for the Temp Gauge is going Out/Bad......which is a Common problem on these Trucks/SUV's.

Edit:....Jeff I forgot to ask, were any of the other Gauges not working Correctly??
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

Yes. All of the other gauges are working properly.

I would be surprised if its the stepper motor in the gauge. I didn't notice it until the battery thing. Not saying that it didn't do it before but I would *think* I would notice it not showing any temp.

I don't suppose there is any kind of test that can easily be done on the stepper motor.

I did a search and found a post where someone has the exact same situation as me. Changed the battery and then had the temp gauge issue. There was no real solution though. He said it just started working again. Its odd.

I have the funniest feeling it has something to do with the computer control. That is the only link I can come up with for a connection between teh gauge and the changing of the battery.

Edit:

I just went back out and checked. If I turn the key but not start the truck the gauge goes up to probably 180 now that it is cooler and will sit there just fine. When I start the truck, the needles all sweep to the left and go back. Temp goes back to 180 for a few seconds. About the time the flashing airbag light goes off, the gauge goes back down to 160.

In my mind (which is a scary though) the temp sensor and the stepper motors are working properly. I will see if AutoZone can scan it for any codes. I wonder if they can reset any codes that may have popped up do to just a strange surge or what not from changing the battery??
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

At this point, I would drive your Truck, put some miles on it to let the computer reset itself and then see where your Temp Gauge is after driving.....I just mentioned everything that I thought it could and/or may be the causes for the Temp Gauge acting strange......Also you could have the Truck Scan for Codes to be on the Safe Side......let us know what happens, it could just be like you say.....( connection between teh gauge and the changing of the battery.)???
  5. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown New Member

I got the temp gauge working again.

I disconnected the negative battery cable and left it off for probably an hour. Hooked it back up. Started the truck and let it idle for about 2-3 minutes and it appeared the gauge started to move a little. So I drove it a few miles and sure enough, gauge is back to normal again. I suppose it was just a glitch and needed to have the computer reset. Glad it was nothing serious. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
  6. Mark H

Mark H New Member

The exact thing happened with my truck 2006. Battery dead, changed it, and now temp gauge sets on 160. I will try and do as you did. Thanks for the help.
  7. rlhodgen

rlhodgen New Member

Just changed battery on my 07 Silverado and the temp gauge will come up and then drop back to very low and stay there. In the past for no reason the drivers side air vents would start blowing hot air with the ac on, but the passenger side would blow cold air. Discovered that if you disconnect the cables from the battery and short the cables together for a couple of hours it resets the controls for the temperature adjustment. So I tried shorting the cables to see if it would correct the temperature gauge problem and now the temperature gauge is working correctly. Don't know why but shorting the cables for a short period of time does not correct these problems. I left them shorted overnight for the temp gauge.
    Hope this will help others in the future.
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

disconnect the negative battery connection then place the ignition to on for 15 min. this will discharge the 12 volt system.
  9. Caleb

Caleb New Member

I had the very same deal go down this weekend. Battery died and had it replaced. On the way in to work this morning, my temp gauge wasn't working. I followed what you posted and it worked like a charm, thank you!!!
  10. RedDragonRon

RedDragonRon New Member

Same thing just happened to me

I replaced aced the battery in my 05 z71 Tahoe today and out went my temp gauge. Really pisses me off spending money on a new bat just to find another issue!!

A mechanic friend of mine told me to take bat neg off for 10 minutes to clear computer and it should go away. He has the same truck as me so I hope this solves the issue.

Please advise if you have fixed yours and what the cause was.. I will do the same if it works..

ron