1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

temp gauge reads ok at start, then falls to zero

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Pikey, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My temp gauge started acting up today. It reads at the correct temp when I first start the truck, then after 10 seconds drops to 160. when I start it, all the needles go all the way down, including the temp, then the temp stays at 160 or goes up to the correct temp then drops to 160. I connected my scan tool and am still getting a temp reading to the computer. any ideas? stepper motor? 05 yukon xl 5.3L

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

OK, I figured out the issue. Kind of. I just swapped out the alternator again because the one I put in 1 month ago was getting noisy. The temp gauge issue happened when I reconnected the battery. I was leaning toward the stepper motor. I have one and was going to change it out tonight. While doing research on how to do the stepper I came across a post on another forum from a guy with the same issue. It happened after he put a new battery in. He disconnected the battery for 45 minutes and it worked fine again. So, I disconnected mine and it seems to work just fine now. I don't know what the confusion was with the computer, but all is good.