temp gauge reads ok at start, then falls to zero

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Pikey, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My temp gauge started acting up today. It reads at the correct temp when I first start the truck, then after 10 seconds drops to 160. when I start it, all the needles go all the way down, including the temp, then the temp stays at 160 or goes up to the correct temp then drops to 160. I connected my scan tool and am still getting a temp reading to the computer. any ideas? stepper motor? 05 yukon xl 5.3L

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

OK, I figured out the issue. Kind of. I just swapped out the alternator again because the one I put in 1 month ago was getting noisy. The temp gauge issue happened when I reconnected the battery. I was leaning toward the stepper motor. I have one and was going to change it out tonight. While doing research on how to do the stepper I came across a post on another forum from a guy with the same issue. It happened after he put a new battery in. He disconnected the battery for 45 minutes and it worked fine again. So, I disconnected mine and it seems to work just fine now. I don't know what the confusion was with the computer, but all is good.