temp gauge?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 1993silverado4x4, Jun 28, 2008.

1. 1993silverado4x4

1993silverado4x4 New Member

the temp gauge on my 1993 silverado does not work..it just sits there at 0 the whole time which i know is obiously wrong..any ideas or tips on how i can fix this...also i need to replace the power steering lines..any tips on this??

thanks

2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

check the wir at the sending unit on the block. i seen them fall off often or have a bad connection.

the P/S hoses are easy to swap out. i put a catch bucket under the area and got line wrenches thes go almost all the way around the nut but have one section missing to fit over the hose or line.....mike

3. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Let's hope it's nothing wrong with your instrument cluster. First check for a bad fuse, then the sensor. This is NOT the one next to the water outlet neck (thermostat housing) in the intake manifold! That one is for the computer. You want the one that's in the drivers side head... assuming you have a small block, it's between exhaust ports #1 and #3; big block and V-6, between #3 and #5; Diesel at #1.
    Look for problems at the connector/wire assembly. Then jumper wire the connector to ground and see if the gauge reacts. If it does then you need a new sensor, or there's the possibility the existing sensor has lost it ground. This type of sensor is grounded by its threaded end. A too liberal application of sealant can actually interrupt the ground path (this happens more times than you'd think). Before you replace a suspected bad sensor, provide a supplemental ground to the area of the sensor's wrench flats and see if that solves the problem. Only after you're sure it's the sensor, and not a bad connection, replace the unit making sure that you don't apply too much goop. The new sensor's treads may be banded with an anti-gall material, don't mistake this for sealant.

I just did my power steering pump and hoses, and Mike's right, you have to have the appropriate tubing-nut wrenches. Since you're going to have the system open, it wouldn't hurt to flush it out and go with fresh fluid. Typical instructions call for pulsing the starter to bleed the system, I found I had a lot more control by using an electric drill to spin the PS pump. At the time, the fan and shroud weren't installed, so I had easy access to the front of the pump.