Terrible MPG

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Silverado1500, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

alright so i had posted another thread like this a few weeks ago and as you know i get 7 MPG in the city. i have a 2000 1500 silverado with 305/70/16 with stock gearing im pretty sure. i have changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, Oil, seafoamed, and got a CAI for it. and i am still doing 200 miles per tanks which is 26gal i believe. so still the same 7 MPG. im really stuck on this and would really like to get the MPGs up.

thanks guys, gas prices these days have been killing me and im only 16

2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Idk what may be causing the low mileage, but you do have a 26 gallon tank. Good luck with the gas, I'm 17 and i ended up buying a compact 2wd pickup because i couldn't afford the gas even with a 4wd S10. Good luck man

3. Silverado1500

haha you and me both. i might be switching with my dad and drive the truck on the weekends

4. liquidmetal

liquidmetal New Member

I would check a few other things. I just recently discovered my IAC valve was DEAD, showed no ohms on the resistance check. I assume this was killing my MPG, infact I just seafoamed my 95 cheyenne tonight (just got back)and did a good short highway drive. After the replacing of the IAC, I've noticed a big increase to response. No numbers yet to compare MPG gain.

Be aware also that "driving habits" are a contributing factor to MPG...but hell I love to gun it at LEAST every once in awhile.

5. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Fuel pump, fuel filter, clean MAF and throttle body. Spark plugs can also be a culprit.

6. mitchlbuck

mitchlbuck New Member

have you checked your O 2 censors? if one of those are bad that could be the reason why

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Seafoam EVERYTHING, check the gap on you plugs, and whatever else everyone has said.

8. Silverado1500

it shouldnt be the O2 sensors. i hope not. i mean i havent got a engine check light. i cleaned the throttle body also. seafoamed everything besides the oil cuz i had just changed it before i found out about that stuff

9. Silverado1500

what and where is the IAC valve? how do i know if mine is alright?

10. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'd have to give this some thought. I get 16-17 in the summer and around 11 in the winter. Tend to spin the tires a bit more and hit higher rpm coming off each light. Suppose if you live where it doesn't snow that doesn't matter. And how much of this is city driving???