1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Terrible noise when starting. (video inside)

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by kc_burban, Apr 1, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. kc_burban

kc_burban New Member

[video]http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o519/kc_burban/?action=view&current=VID_20120401_140006.mp4[/video]

Its a 98 GMC suburban with 5.7. Never had an issue starting before last night. all of a sudden coming out of the gas station it just stopped wanting to start. I have no idea where to even begin. Im hoping this video gives you guys better insight then me trying to describe the sound. Ive tried jumping it with no luck.

Thanks for the help

2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like that bendix gear on the starter is shot. Or maybe you've got a bad spot on the fly wheel. Or both.

3. kc_burban

kc_burban New Member

How would i go about checking those and replacing them?

4. Naptime

Start by dropping the starter and look for loose metal. Be sure to disconnect the battery first.

If you're really lucky, maybe the started just came loose. Never heard of that happening though.

5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Yeah it definitely sounds like your starter's bendix blew up. But as naptime says, it COULD also be the flywheel. He's definitely got ya on the right track. Good luck, let us know what you find bud

6. kc_burban

kc_burban New Member

So me and my dad just took off the starter. The teethe on the starter looked a little rough so that is going to get replaced for sure. We also found two teethe in a row on the flywheel that are ground down to nothing. So we turned the wheel a few notches and put on the original starter and she fired right up so i got her home.

So after those findings how hard is it to replace a flywheel? Should i just cut my loses and sell it? Is it going to be like a game of Russian roulette every time i go to start it not knowing whether or not its stopped in that spot? Or any other suggestions i'm not much of a mechanic but i can follow directions.

Thanks for all the help guys i love it here.

7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Well.. that's some disheartening news to be completely honest. Changing a flywheel is definitely not something you can do in a couple of hours... I'm not for certain on that model of vehicle if you can get to it enough to get a torque wrench on the flywheel bolts or not... but even that would include dropping the driveshaft and transmission. And then if it's not possible to get to the flywheel with the motor mounted up (which I personally wouldn't recommend due to alignment issues that could arise from having to be in awkward positions, you definitely don't want a lopsided flywheel attached to your rotating assembly) ...then pulling the engine out would have to be done.

I'm sure there is something I haven't thought about, and others will chime in and give input.. but to the best of my knowledge that's going to be how it is.

And no problem on the help, we're glad to be able to help and have ya here. :sign0011:

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

easy to do if you have the tools. slide tranny back take the flywheel off and bolt the new one on.

Its not a novice job but it can be done.

9. Naptime

Provided that is the only bad spot on the flywheel, you could continue spinning the old roulette wheel and hope you never turn it off with that spot lining up on the bendix. You gotta figure the odds are on your side, unless you're a very unlucky sort. Also when you say "ground down to nothing" do you mean ground down or broken off? If they are ground, there might be just enough of a nub that a new bendix will still engage it should it happen to line up again in the future.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I wouldn't sell a good-working truck, considering the cost of a new one! My car payments on the 1999 suburban are $0 per month. I have some maintenance and replacement parts to deal with, but they don't equal a new truck monthly payment. Even a repair cost of a few grand would only bring me close to a year's worth of car payments. Put the money into a truck that is otherwise sound and solid. If EVERYTHING is shot on it, trade up to a newer vehicle and send this one to the junkyard for us to cannibalize.

Oh, and it might be possible to move the flywheel a few degrees by letting the car roll backward or forward while in gear. This would move it off the bad teeth, if you landed on them. Of course, you'd need to be parked on a hill to do this easily.