1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Test Drive: Panasonic Portable DVD Player DVD-LS855

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just picked up the Panasonic Portable DVD Player DVD-LS855 (similar to the DVD-LS865) at Costco and it appears to be a good deal for now.

The main reason I went with that is we often need to have a porable DVD player for trips, in and out of the car, on a plane, at someone's house or a hotel, so this was the best overall solution for our needs. Otherwise I would have had a unit installed in the Trailblazer for a lot more cost.

It's got some drawbacks for a solution, it's only on one headrest, the sound quality isn't really loud (at least one headphone jack though), but the picture is pretty good. It was listed for $165? and there was a $20 instant coupon, so it was about $145 overall. It has a carrying case, DC plug, AC plug, and a mounting bracket that can stay in the car.

The screen is 8.5" in a widescreen format. 16:9 I think. It's got a dual-pivot screen so you can get it just about any angle that you want. Plus the battery lasts a long time, it's supposed to go up to 6 hours if you keep the screen brightness down and use headphones.

I'll do some tests on the road and we'll get some more feedback over time. Looks like a good investment overall.

[​IMG]
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Let us know how it performs.
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a Sony that is similiar. I plugged the DVD player into the input jack on my truck sterreo. Nothing like Bob the Builder in surround sound for an hour.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Here's an update after having it for a month.
    We like this unit overall. It was a good price, it works well and will make some long drives a little more bearable for the little ones in the back seat.

Buying quality was a smart move
    Often I look for something that's cheap, but this is middle of the road in price and features, and it's paying off. The unit is VERY durable, having been kicked by a 4-year old with all the power of Bruce Lee fighting off a ninja army, it's no worse for the wear. It plays great and even picks up some of those mildly scratched DVDs that even my cheapo home player can't get right.

Sound is fine for one person
    The volume isn't great for a room, but if you're in the seat and are watching this with the volume up, then it's just fine, even in busy bumper-to-bumper traffic. There is a headphones jack and a couple of aux output jacks.

Next step: hook into the stereo
    I should be able to figure out how to hook this into the stereo system without too much trouble. I also think it would be neat to hear the dvds playing through the native stereo system. More on this later when I get some free time.