1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

test drove a 97

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rygamer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rygamer

rygamer New Member

Drove well, everything seemed to work. I popped the hood after i drove it and the coolant resevoir was BONE dry. I should stay away from this one right?
  2. carlsauction

carlsauction New Member

Was it bone dry when you started?
  3. rygamer

rygamer New Member

yes even before i started.

also if your are looking at the firewall in the engine compartment off to the right there is a circular thing mounted on the firewall wall bout 12 inches across. what is that? it looked a little rusty.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That is the brake booster- a bit of rust is about what you would expect.

The bone dry resevoir could be a radiator leak(my 98 had one but it was up high so it would only leak when I filled it,and it would never overheat,since once it leaked to below the level, it would leak very slowly).

Lotta places to leak.If you were still interested-refill it- and see where fluid/water comes out.
    Radiators are cheap-$150 new- so are water pumps-$60 or so. It takes 2-4 hours to remove replace radiator for an amateur like me.-Waterpump adds another hours or so-tricky to get the fan pully off.
    Charlie
  5. rygamer

rygamer New Member

checked out a 99 and there was sludge in the resevoir. Had nice rims though. lol