test drove a 97

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rygamer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rygamer

rygamer New Member

Drove well, everything seemed to work. I popped the hood after i drove it and the coolant resevoir was BONE dry. I should stay away from this one right?

2. carlsauction

carlsauction New Member

Was it bone dry when you started?

3. rygamer

rygamer New Member

yes even before i started.

also if your are looking at the firewall in the engine compartment off to the right there is a circular thing mounted on the firewall wall bout 12 inches across. what is that? it looked a little rusty.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That is the brake booster- a bit of rust is about what you would expect.

The bone dry resevoir could be a radiator leak(my 98 had one but it was up high so it would only leak when I filled it,and it would never overheat,since once it leaked to below the level, it would leak very slowly).

Lotta places to leak.If you were still interested-refill it- and see where fluid/water comes out.
    Radiators are cheap-$150 new- so are water pumps-$60 or so. It takes 2-4 hours to remove replace radiator for an amateur like me.-Waterpump adds another hours or so-tricky to get the fan pully off.
    Charlie

5. rygamer

rygamer New Member

checked out a 99 and there was sludge in the resevoir. Had nice rims though. lol