1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Texas Gun Range To Host Children's Birthday Parties

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rileyjr16, Jun 5, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Actually that's something you might see in Arizona, too. :)
  3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

With the kids parents consent, I see nothing wrong with this at all.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's AWESOME! These kids aren't generally the problem, it's the small time drug dealer living in the suburbs to avoid detection with young kids running around who's got a small weapons cache and the kids find it.

I was three when I started shooting a .22, my dad used to bring it along when we went out cutting wood and we'd shoot at cans after we packed up. good times.
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I will have my kids someday learning to shoot a .22 from the moment they can hold one up on their own
  6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

With the childrens .22 rifles it is at a very young age one can train the future in proper firearm use and care. Looking at the political future that may be a requirement in the near future
  7. Ape

Ape Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My daughter started learning about guns and the safe handling of guns before she ever knew she was learning about them.
    I started her off with toy guns when she was old enough to hold one. But she was always taught the main safety rules for handling "any" gun.
    By the time she was 5 she shot her first gun (.22). From there she started wanting to shoot anything and everything I own.
    So at 7 she got her first gun, a Heritage Rough Rider. Now at 13 she has 7 of her own guns, and her newest one is a Ruger SR9.
    But she can shoot my biggest calibers with great skill and ease these days!

She's probably the safest person I go shooting with at the gun club, and probably one of the best shots as well. Not better than dad of course! lol

It's never too early to teach kids about guns and the safe fun ways to handle them. I tell people all the time that even if they don't plan on owning any guns of their own, they should still teach their kids about guns and expose them to guns through live fire. The kids with no education on guns are the ones who do stupid things. Be it as kids or as they get older.

I recently became an NRA instructor and I can tell you that the people I teach who already understand gun safety are the easiest to teach. The one's who are either scared of guns or think they already know everything, are the one's that take the longest to teach safe and fun gun handling.
  8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Congrats on becoming an NRA instructor. I think. Sur is also an instructor. So you guys will probably hit it off well
  9. Ape

Ape Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thanks! :glasses:
    Oh ya?!?!? Cool! I'm still waiting on my Range Safety Officer certs to get here too. It's been almost 2 months for those, so I should be seeing them soon.
  10. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I think its great. I started teaching my daughter gun safety at 4 and she started shooting bb guns shortly after. she actually likes the BB rifle better than the pistol because of the trigger pull. She hasnt shot the .22 yet as she cant hold the rifle by herself yet and being where we currently live the only place to shoot is at a range and she isnt old enough (we do the BB gun in the back yard though). I was at the local gun store and saw this and I am thinking of getting it. A little 31" .22LR single shot bolt action.

Attached Files: