1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Texas Gun Range To Host Children's Birthday Parties

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rileyjr16, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Ape

Ape New Member

GREAT first rifle for any kid in my opinion! It's a single shot and also has to be cocked once it's loaded. It teaches them alot about shot selection and safety. I got that very gun for my daughter soon after she got her Heritage Rough Rider. It's a Crickett rifle made by these guys http://www.crickett.com/
    They have a good variety of them to choose from, but the pink was too cute for me not to pick up for her. :glasses:
    I also got her a scope, carrying case, sling, hunting shirt and a few other trinkets to go along with it. It used to be her favorite gun even though it's a single shot. But once I got her the Henry .22, it instantly became her new favorite.
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

My niece (8) has the pink one. I bought a little scope for it and it shoots dead on accurate. I like shooting hers more than mine (Winchester 67A and a Remington 552 Speedmaster) as its much more compact and light weight.
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

another fun little gun is a model 93 savage in .17 HMR. I have one, bolt action, 5 round mag, and is it ever a tack driver. accurate as all get out, its like a .22 on steroids. based of a .22 WMR, which is in turn based of a .22 mag.

Alex
  4. Ape

Ape New Member

Those 17's are great flat trajectory rounds! Only problem is if the wind is blowing at all you have to make a lot of adjustments.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

eh, depends on the wind and range. ive done shots >25 yards with pretty bad cross winds. just have to be smart about it, and not get crazy on the range your trying to shoot.

Alex
  6. Ape

Ape New Member

I hear ya Sierra......I was basically talking about varmit shooting. And most of that is done at decent distances.
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

My Winchester 67A isn't exactly dead on accurate (pre '38). Needs to be actually sighted in. Now that Speedmaster I got, I've hit squirrels with it in the head from 50 yards through the woods. Talk about a accurate rifle.
  8. Ape

Ape New Member

Sounds like a good little rifle riley. But the shooter tends to be more important than the gun usually. ;-)
    I've "smithed" more guns than I'll ever be able to remember.....And I can tell you that "most" guns are basically the same thing. It's only when you get into serious marksmanship shooting that upgrades will start making a difference. And even then the mods makes changes in small increments.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

thats so true ape. to me a good gun is one you are comfortable with. for most people, a 500 dollar rifle and a 5000 dollar rifle will shoot mostly the same.

ive been itching to get a .223, either in a AR platform, or in another bolt action. the other thing Id like to get is a pump rifle of some sort. .30-.30 maybe?

Alex
  10. Ape

Ape New Member

You can build an AR these days for 600 or less. I've built 4 now, one for me and 3 for other people. It's actually an easy thing to do these days with all the info on the net. Plus it's nice because you can make the gun fit your needs and wants exactly instead of buying something off the shelf that's close enough to what you want.
    As far as the "pump" gun is concerned....Are you talking an actual pump? Or did you mean a lever action?