1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Th 350 & 283 compatible?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 71longbed, Apr 9, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 71longbed

71longbed New Member

Hello all,
    i just joined up and have an engine and trans. that i do not know if they are compatible. i've got the chance to buy a 1965 283 high torque V8 that originally had a 3 speed manual and i want to know if a later TH 350 trans and flex plate will bolt up. Mainly don't know if the flex plate bolt pattern will match the 283 crank bolt pattern.

Anyone got a thought for me on this?

Thanks, 71 Longbed
  2. Untouchable

Untouchable New Member 100 Posts

I'm almost sure it will considering the production of the 350 Turbo began in 63 or 64. If the flex plate doesn't match for either of them, then there are plenty of companies that make conversion kits for it to work.
  3. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, I don't know about your engine but it is good to have you aboard. :glasses:
  4. 07XCSB

07XCSB New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It will work just fine. You just have to make sure your flexplate will match the starter and torque convertor bolt pattern. Flexplates are cheap and easy to find. Just make sure the flexplate is for an 85 down engine. 86 went to one piece rear seal.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep it'll match up.
    When it came to GM small blocks they made them compatable with almost everything.
    Many 283's came with the 2 spd auto which was a great drag racing trans, but for those that were doing more street cruising the swap to a TH350 was the popular way to go.
    I've even seen a 700R4 behind a 283 in "T" bucket.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are the Borg. Lower your truck and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:
  7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

:sign0016: Welcome to the Club ANd enjoy the site.....
  8. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  9. 71longbed

71longbed New Member

Thanks a bunch i appreciate your input. Yeah, this Chevy stuff is new to me... I'm a Pontiac nut (big Catalina's with 4 speeds) got 3 of them and this '71 C10 is my recently aquired daily driver, so now, i'm making this one my own with mods etc. I'll post pics here pretty soon.

Thanks again.
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!