1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Advantages of Racing, Aviation, and Government

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Big_Mike, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member 100 Posts

Anyone ever consider that thanks to racing, aviation, and even the government, production cars have improved? As for racing, consider this: technology has improved so much that street-legal cars rival and often surpass the performance of their racecar brethren (consider modern Corvettes). Air planes utilize dry sump oil systems and are designed to be aerodynamic (which has rubbed off onto racecars and production cars). The government has created laws that force car manufacturers to lower vehicle emissions (better for the environment), improve fuel efficiency, and boost power! Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Questions, comments? Feel free to express yourself on this subject...
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The EPA has killed small car emissions with their standards the Cruze would get over 50 MPG if it didn't have to follow the EPA regulations same with the sonic and spark. If u don't follow EPA regulations you would improve gas mileage by almost 10-20% of all production models.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Can't forget that aviation gave us turbos
  4. Conlan Rose

And superchargers. Also helped innovate fuel injection and carbs
  5. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

This is nonsense. Without EPA regs, the Cruze, Sonic, Spark, and Volt probably wouldn't exist, and we would have burned ourselves a giant hole in the ground by now.
  6. Conlan Rose

It isn't non-sense I named those three cars specifically because in Europe with the same engines and power trains they get those better numbers. Especially the spark it got killed because its small engine became so restricted. Yes the EPA does help make sure automakers meet standards that help save the environment, but some of their regulations hurt more than help by far.
  7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is probably the first thread on here putting the government in a positive light. :money:
    Don't forget all the exotic metals that come out of the air and defense industry. These have been used in a lot of different industries and have made bikes (motorized and not), cars, golf clubs, snowboards, skis and etc lighter, faster and stronger.
  8. Conlan Rose

That definitely goes on the positive list because of DoD research and years of need the newest strongest and fastest. Like the SR-71 Blackbrid made of 85% Titanium. Or the P-51 Mustang with its Merlin Packard V-12 supercharged liquid-cooled engine.
  9. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Interesting topic, I will take a shot at it.

• All the fuel econ stuff that we see today because of government and EPA regulations is eye candy. My 2000 Silverado's fuel econ not very far off of what a new one offers, especially with the 4/8 cylinder thing in the newer 5.3's.
    • The the hybrids that advertise 50+ MPG; in reality (Daily Use) give about 35 MPG.
    • The US Patent office (I invented something and I own it, or the company I work for owns it) has patents for alternative fuels that are readily available now, but we cannot have access to the technology because:
      • Greedy private corporations that feed off of oil need to make their mass profits and soak the middle class out of every penny they earn so they don't release said technology for the better of mankind. (Specifically Lockhead and Boeing).
    • Prime example: When I moved to NC, I went to the local community college for 2 years. They have well known automotive program. Apparently a private inventor had come up with a new fuel delivery system for gas. One of the local dealerships installed it in a Ford 150 to test it out, it gave fords 5.xL v8 60 MPG's. Well, a sales person sold the truck by mistake and the person that bought it was trying to figure out why it took him a month to need to fill it up. The dealership offered the guy enough money to bring it back and the technology has been lost somewhere in the Ford archives.(This actually made a 30 second spot on the local News when it happened).

So quite frankly we can believe what we are taught to believe, or we can believe in what we know as true and right.
  10. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

No, they don't get better MPG over in Europe or UK. They measure miles differently. Be very wary of what you hear when people talk about MPG from UK/Euro cars vs same model in US. Brits for example will very often use the term "miles" when talking about kilometers. Also, the European models have a diesel engine available, which will get better MPG, and you may often end up comparing it to the US gas only models, which is also not a proper comparison.

The differences between the models you mentioned in the US and the rest of the world have absolutely nothing to do with the EPA and government, but everything to do with market and demand. Chevrolet doesn't sell 50+ MPG diesel cars in the US because their market research has told them they won't seel enough, and they won't make any money with them.

The Chevy Cruze Eco in the US can get 45-50 MPG easily. I have one, and I have gotten 45-47 MPG with it on the highway, consistently. Heck, I even got 42 MPG with it on a 600 mile trip going through the mountains.