1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Art of Bringing that Ol' Heap Back to Life

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Ever fixed up an old car or truck that you liked? Maybe in the process of it now? That nearly everyone else would probably have just crushed? Not willing to spend the time or money (in some cases I can understand the money part though, depending on circumstances) to repair it. In my opinion, the time spent working on it counts just as much, if not more, than money. One has to know how to make repairs and that takes training (time involved with learning). Some people just want what's new. However, a great vehicle can be found and made if time is invested to make repairs. Ever have someone ask you... "Why don't you just junk that car/truck?" And you look that person right square in the eyes and tell them your reason, whatever it may be...
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My '01 Silverado is by no means a heap, beater or clunker, but at 12 years old, it is starting to show its age. I plan on getting into a new car by the end of this year. With that, I'll still keep my Silverado as a second vehicle and as a project truck. There are plenty of things that need to be done to it to keep it running as well as plenty of things I want to do it. Once I get a new car I can really start to tear into it and work on it simply because I want to.
  3. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

I understand that! It's difficult to work on a vehicle while having to drive it too. And I should have worded the title of this thread a little better. "Heap" issn't exactly what I should have used. I was just trying to get the point across that some people don't want to go to the effort to fix an older vehicle when it begins to give trouble.

Which is fine, but I prefer to at least attempt to make repairs before just trading it in or crushing it. It really is amazing how vehicles operate given how so much has to be just right.
    Vehicles are very finicky as I am sure goes without saying. :)
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

That right there is a snap-shot of society in general. Even though it's usually more expensive, people these days would rather just buy a new one instead of trying to fix what is broken.

Do vacuum or TV repair shops still exist anymore?
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

some days I get frustrated with the fixing of this and that on my wifes car (2002 Altima with 188,xxx miles). She is getting a new car in a couple months but I will commute in her car and get rid of my saturn.

I also have a 1960 land rover series II. Needs a clutch and every summer I say I am going to get to work on it, but time and money never seem to be there at that point. But I also could have spent the 220 on the clutch instead of 750 on my nav system in my truck. Always seems that whenever I want to work on it something gets in the way. Would I ever get rid of it, Not a chance. Its my only family heirloom and I love the thing. Grandfather bought it new, went to my dad and then he gave it to me when I turned 18. my father and I had already done a lot of things to it, and some things since. But as any project vehicle goes it gets bumped down the priority list in life as compared to the other vehicles that are more often driven.
  6. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

I believe so. Just getting harder to locate them. Not quite unheard of... yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Your daily driving vehicles get "jealous" since you are trying to fix up the Land Rover! LOL. I understand. Life can throw the proverbial "monkey wrench" into the well-oiled gears you have spinning so to say (figuratively speaking).
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I always have a project vehicle waiting in the garage sometimes its just a simple low budget car I couldnt stand to see crushed and sometimes its something thatll end up in my growing collection.
    Right now I have a 53 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 1965 327 Tri power Vette engine and 4 spd trans. Im sure you can imagine what a car like that looks like after its been setting in a West Texas farm yard for the last 25 years. But I couldnt allow her to get crushed. New interior and patch panels on the floor are done next step is a light rebuild on the engine and trans and after that she getts a suspension rebuild. I estimate Ill have close to $4000 invested I hope to get her a new home for around $6000. This one will be a flip but maybe Ill keep the next one I come across who knows until that time comes.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

People all the time ask me why do I spend the time and money on my truck and I just say its because I care about my truck and its gonna run til I die.
  9. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Well vehicles like that are part of history. It's cool you are preventing them from becoming "extinct" so to say. Restoring or fixing a car back to driving condition is a lot of work. However, it's a good feeling when it's all fixed up and time for a test drive! Good luck with whatever you plan to do with your future projects!

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you mean. It isn't their business how much money you spend on your truck. It isn't there money or time, it's all yours. So why should they care? Everyone needs something to love doing. Some of us like fixing up cars and trucks.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Correct, also in me spending money on my truck I will save $1000's in the long run by not needing a newer vehicle, which to replace my truck with a new model would be around $29,000-54,000 depending on year and packages. Rather keep the old reliable beast she's a tank of 4 wheels with an amazing motor under the hood that will last hundreds of thousands of miles. Already at 198,870.