GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

The Art of Bringing that Ol' Heap Back to Life

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Ever fixed up an old car or truck that you liked? Maybe in the process of it now? That nearly everyone else would probably have just crushed? Not willing to spend the time or money (in some cases I can understand the money part though, depending on circumstances) to repair it. In my opinion, the time spent working on it counts just as much, if not more, than money. One has to know how to make repairs and that takes training (time involved with learning). Some people just want what's new. However, a great vehicle can be found and made if time is invested to make repairs. Ever have someone ask you... "Why don't you just junk that car/truck?" And you look that person right square in the eyes and tell them your reason, whatever it may be...
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

My '01 Silverado is by no means a heap, beater or clunker, but at 12 years old, it is starting to show its age. I plan on getting into a new car by the end of this year. With that, I'll still keep my Silverado as a second vehicle and as a project truck. There are plenty of things that need to be done to it to keep it running as well as plenty of things I want to do it. Once I get a new car I can really start to tear into it and work on it simply because I want to.
  3. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

I understand that! It's difficult to work on a vehicle while having to drive it too. And I should have worded the title of this thread a little better. "Heap" issn't exactly what I should have used. I was just trying to get the point across that some people don't want to go to the effort to fix an older vehicle when it begins to give trouble.

Which is fine, but I prefer to at least attempt to make repairs before just trading it in or crushing it. It really is amazing how vehicles operate given how so much has to be just right.
    Vehicles are very finicky as I am sure goes without saying. :)
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

That right there is a snap-shot of society in general. Even though it's usually more expensive, people these days would rather just buy a new one instead of trying to fix what is broken.

Do vacuum or TV repair shops still exist anymore?
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

some days I get frustrated with the fixing of this and that on my wifes car (2002 Altima with 188,xxx miles). She is getting a new car in a couple months but I will commute in her car and get rid of my saturn.

I also have a 1960 land rover series II. Needs a clutch and every summer I say I am going to get to work on it, but time and money never seem to be there at that point. But I also could have spent the 220 on the clutch instead of 750 on my nav system in my truck. Always seems that whenever I want to work on it something gets in the way. Would I ever get rid of it, Not a chance. Its my only family heirloom and I love the thing. Grandfather bought it new, went to my dad and then he gave it to me when I turned 18. my father and I had already done a lot of things to it, and some things since. But as any project vehicle goes it gets bumped down the priority list in life as compared to the other vehicles that are more often driven.
  6. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

I believe so. Just getting harder to locate them. Not quite unheard of... yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Your daily driving vehicles get "jealous" since you are trying to fix up the Land Rover! LOL. I understand. Life can throw the proverbial "monkey wrench" into the well-oiled gears you have spinning so to say (figuratively speaking).
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I always have a project vehicle waiting in the garage sometimes its just a simple low budget car I couldnt stand to see crushed and sometimes its something thatll end up in my growing collection.
    Right now I have a 53 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 1965 327 Tri power Vette engine and 4 spd trans. Im sure you can imagine what a car like that looks like after its been setting in a West Texas farm yard for the last 25 years. But I couldnt allow her to get crushed. New interior and patch panels on the floor are done next step is a light rebuild on the engine and trans and after that she getts a suspension rebuild. I estimate Ill have close to $4000 invested I hope to get her a new home for around $6000. This one will be a flip but maybe Ill keep the next one I come across who knows until that time comes.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

People all the time ask me why do I spend the time and money on my truck and I just say its because I care about my truck and its gonna run til I die.
  9. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Well vehicles like that are part of history. It's cool you are preventing them from becoming "extinct" so to say. Restoring or fixing a car back to driving condition is a lot of work. However, it's a good feeling when it's all fixed up and time for a test drive! Good luck with whatever you plan to do with your future projects!

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you mean. It isn't their business how much money you spend on your truck. It isn't there money or time, it's all yours. So why should they care? Everyone needs something to love doing. Some of us like fixing up cars and trucks.
  10. Conlan Rose

Correct, also in me spending money on my truck I will save $1000's in the long run by not needing a newer vehicle, which to replace my truck with a new model would be around $29,000-54,000 depending on year and packages. Rather keep the old reliable beast she's a tank of 4 wheels with an amazing motor under the hood that will last hundreds of thousands of miles. Already at 198,870.
  11. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

I have a '89 Sierra SCSB 305 5spd that got parked when the 2nd kid arrived, and officially neglected by the 3rd. Now, my oldest is getting her license and can't wait to call it "hers". The repairs are planned for this spring, and she'll be turnin' wrenches right along side of me. I've had big plans for it, but we'll start with just getting it road worthy and go from there.

More than a few folks have tried to buy it over the years, but I just won't let it go - too good of a truck. It needs a rad support, brakes, and rear springs, but I've been eyeing a complete cab a few zip codes over that would make body repairs easier. Look, two more saved from the shreader!

Of course, there's also the '58 Jaguar MK I Saloon that I picked up last year (yes, dear, I know...) just to keep it out of the scrap pile. I'd never seen one before; I just wanted to look at it; the guy took $100 and helped me load it - what would you do? The grille alone goes for 3 on the net... This'll be the kids-are-all-gone project - restored body/interior, custom frame, SBC, triple duece, cut outs through the front fenders...

Keeping the front line stuff running is priority, but you love the older vehicles for getting you this far. By the way, Da Bus is still running strong, been to countless ballgames and wedding parties, but still isn't painted. ;)
    KH
  12. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

Well that's a good way to spend time with family. And teach others about DIY. Sounds like you got plenty to do, bringing some vehicles "back to life." Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

You're right about that. Drive that tank on! On or off road!
  13. Conlan Rose

Also Doing research I learned that the 1999 Tahoe has tons of options my 96 doesn't so in the future I will try to find a wrecked or cheap 99 and yank out the options and PCM so my truck has all the options available on the 99
  14. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

That's actually an interesting idea. I don't how difficult it would be. Anytime there has to be work with wiring and computers, who knows? However, good luck with it! Just like I plan to put a CD player in my truck, since it was factory equipped with a cassette player. :)
  15. Conlan Rose

It should be easy. The 99 Tahoe and 96 are the same body style with the same powertrain(minus the 99's autotrac T-case) They have the same PCM and everything but slightly different versions of the software. The 96 fuse boxes have lots of room to be expanded for the additional features and the wiring would just be harnesses from the 99.
  16. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I've rebuilt a few cars in my day. My 65 c10 has taken me 8 years and its basically done still needing to get the seats reupholstered. I also got 3 87 k30s that I will make in to one big mud bogger once I get some cash saved to throw into it. Then after that my gf grandfather is gunna sell me his 86 k10 that I plan on keeping exactly how it is and make it run forever. Also sitting in the barn I have a 65 burb that'll become my family hauler whenever I get a family. It's gunna take a complete restoration. I'm only 22 but I love old cars. The only reason I drive new pick up is cuz I run my dads construction companies which means I do a lot of haulin and a lot of driving in general.
  17. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

I hate you... because I am jealous lol
  18. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

This is a touchy subject for me, mainly because I'm kind of a hypocrite. I always said I would keep my 01' S10 forever, but I traded it the day after christmas for my HHR and I have mixed feelings. I wanted to do a body off and redo EVERYTHING, rusted bad from 13 winters but the body and interior were spotless. Transmission started to go, and all the lines were rotting away so I gave it up. I would have dropped an easy $30,000 into it, because I had big plans including an LT1 swap which I now how sitting in my garage.

I feel I did the smart thing, but that doesn't mean it hurts any less.....
  19. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

dont be to jealous I work my self to be able to save up for them. I am really excited about build this 87 I'm just out of room to put them. I'm living with my parents right now so all my truck other than my 65 and silverado are at the farm. Looking into buying a 400 acre piece of land in North Georgia then all hell will break loose. Rock wells are sitting next to the 87s begging to be fabed up
  20. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member

That's good for you man! A lot of time goes into this kind of work... And money as mentioned before. However, like my dad tells me, it's a good feeling to keep one (or in your case several) from getting crushed.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, no one is judging you. I know I'm not! Sometimes life forces one to do things that weren't planned or optional.

- - - Updated - - -

Go for it buddy! Sounds like you've put a lot of thought and planning into it. Good luck! I think that's a cool idea, "beefing up" or "souping up" an older vehicle with newer features/technology.