1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Art of Bringing that Ol' Heap Back to Life

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Mar 17, 2013.

1. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

I have a '89 Sierra SCSB 305 5spd that got parked when the 2nd kid arrived, and officially neglected by the 3rd. Now, my oldest is getting her license and can't wait to call it "hers". The repairs are planned for this spring, and she'll be turnin' wrenches right along side of me. I've had big plans for it, but we'll start with just getting it road worthy and go from there.

More than a few folks have tried to buy it over the years, but I just won't let it go - too good of a truck. It needs a rad support, brakes, and rear springs, but I've been eyeing a complete cab a few zip codes over that would make body repairs easier. Look, two more saved from the shreader!

Of course, there's also the '58 Jaguar MK I Saloon that I picked up last year (yes, dear, I know...) just to keep it out of the scrap pile. I'd never seen one before; I just wanted to look at it; the guy took $100 and helped me load it - what would you do? The grille alone goes for 3 on the net... This'll be the kids-are-all-gone project - restored body/interior, custom frame, SBC, triple duece, cut outs through the front fenders...

Keeping the front line stuff running is priority, but you love the older vehicles for getting you this far. By the way, Da Bus is still running strong, been to countless ballgames and wedding parties, but still isn't painted. ;)
    KH
  2. Big_Mike

Big_Mike New Member 100 Posts

Well that's a good way to spend time with family. And teach others about DIY. Sounds like you got plenty to do, bringing some vehicles "back to life." Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

You're right about that. Drive that tank on! On or off road!
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Also Doing research I learned that the 1999 Tahoe has tons of options my 96 doesn't so in the future I will try to find a wrecked or cheap 99 and yank out the options and PCM so my truck has all the options available on the 99
  4. Big_Mike

That's actually an interesting idea. I don't how difficult it would be. Anytime there has to be work with wiring and computers, who knows? However, good luck with it! Just like I plan to put a CD player in my truck, since it was factory equipped with a cassette player. :)
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It should be easy. The 99 Tahoe and 96 are the same body style with the same powertrain(minus the 99's autotrac T-case) They have the same PCM and everything but slightly different versions of the software. The 96 fuse boxes have lots of room to be expanded for the additional features and the wiring would just be harnesses from the 99.
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've rebuilt a few cars in my day. My 65 c10 has taken me 8 years and its basically done still needing to get the seats reupholstered. I also got 3 87 k30s that I will make in to one big mud bogger once I get some cash saved to throw into it. Then after that my gf grandfather is gunna sell me his 86 k10 that I plan on keeping exactly how it is and make it run forever. Also sitting in the barn I have a 65 burb that'll become my family hauler whenever I get a family. It's gunna take a complete restoration. I'm only 22 but I love old cars. The only reason I drive new pick up is cuz I run my dads construction companies which means I do a lot of haulin and a lot of driving in general.
  7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

I hate you... because I am jealous lol
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is a touchy subject for me, mainly because I'm kind of a hypocrite. I always said I would keep my 01' S10 forever, but I traded it the day after christmas for my HHR and I have mixed feelings. I wanted to do a body off and redo EVERYTHING, rusted bad from 13 winters but the body and interior were spotless. Transmission started to go, and all the lines were rotting away so I gave it up. I would have dropped an easy $30,000 into it, because I had big plans including an LT1 swap which I now how sitting in my garage.

I feel I did the smart thing, but that doesn't mean it hurts any less.....
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

dont be to jealous I work my self to be able to save up for them. I am really excited about build this 87 I'm just out of room to put them. I'm living with my parents right now so all my truck other than my 65 and silverado are at the farm. Looking into buying a 400 acre piece of land in North Georgia then all hell will break loose. Rock wells are sitting next to the 87s begging to be fabed up
  10. Big_Mike

That's good for you man! A lot of time goes into this kind of work... And money as mentioned before. However, like my dad tells me, it's a good feeling to keep one (or in your case several) from getting crushed.

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, no one is judging you. I know I'm not! Sometimes life forces one to do things that weren't planned or optional.

- - - Updated - - -

Go for it buddy! Sounds like you've put a lot of thought and planning into it. Good luck! I think that's a cool idea, "beefing up" or "souping up" an older vehicle with newer features/technology.