1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The biggest BS from Washington in a long time!!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

A message from Rick Wagoner, the best CEO that General Motors has had in a long time.

Just like the great depression, the credit and housing crisis have caused people to stop spending and specifically stop buying new cars. The GM product line is fantastic right now. Quality is just as good as any other car maker. Performance, fuel econ, styling, price and more have all taken fantastic improvements over the last few years. Thanks to all your hard work Rick, we appreciate it!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Steve,

Looks like Washington needed a Fall Guy.
  3. ChevyFan

Seriously though, that's some gaul for Washington to interfere with the internal management of a business that otherwise is just a little cash strapped. Granted, they are the largest business in the world, they're in their own category, but Fritz Henderson is the new acting CEO and everyone says that he's a lifetime GMer, is he the guy to lead GM to the next 100 years?
  4. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Ok let's get this straight.

1) Wall street crashes because of bad mortgages.
    2) Oil prices soar because of foreign investors playing with a weak dollar.
    3) people lose homes and jobs so they stop spending.

This is Rick Wagoner's fault so let's get him to step down. Who was doing the thinking on Friday? Obviously not someone intelligent.

Meanwhile AIG is shelling out millions in bonuses, with our money, and their CEO stepped down himself. He wasn't asked by the government. OH yeah and only half of those bonuses will be returned.

WAY TO GO WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!!
  5. ridnrimz

ridnrimz New Member

You're exactly right. I think GM shouldn't have focused so narrowly on the truck market for so many years, but that wasn't ricks fault. I don't see why he has to step down, other than the usual political BS that comes from Obama... I mean, Washington.
  6. ChevyFan

I hear this argument all the time. "GM's not making vehicles that people want to buy..." Well, the #1 selling vehicle in the country last year was the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra combo. Hmm, sure doesn't sound like people wanted to buy them.

The Top 10 Best-Selling Cars of 2008
    • Chevy Silverado: 465,065 (plus 168,544 GMC Sierra - 633,609 total)
    • Ford F-Series: 515,513
    • Toyota Camry: 436,617
    • Honda Accord: 372,789
    • Toyota Corolla: 351,007
    • Honda Civic: 339,289
    • Nissan Altima: 269,668
    • Chevy Impala: 265,840
    • Dodge Ram: 245,840
    • Honda CR-V: 197,279
  7. ridnrimz

ridnrimz New Member

ya you're definitely right about the truck not being the whole problem. I'm referring to the fact that the chicken tax which was instituted in the 1960s did nothing but give them a reason to put all of their marketing dollars towards the trucks. $5k per truck is a lot of extra money to make... of course selling more trucks was the quickest way to make the most money. As far as the numbers that show how many trucks are selling there's more than one reason for that. Marketing and advertising have a lot to do with it too... if there's 2000 truck commercials a day what do you think people are going to end up buying? just a thought. Not trying to bash gm, I just don't let my bias of loving my trucks get in the way of a fair analysis :)
  8. jim1958

jim1958 New Member

Ok yes lets get it straight. Years ago the government,big oil,and the automakers who were all in bed together decided they could get rich. They decided what kind of gas mileage they would give the americans and passed a law to seal that deal. All the time they were doing this they were also buying up the patents for more fuel efficient carbs and different types of engines and hiding the technology from the public because they had too much money invested in big oil. Then gas went to 4 bucks a gallon, foreign car makers were building cars to get better gas mileage, americans quit buying american made vehichles,thus putting americans out of work and creating a credit crisis when they lost there jobs. Are you starting to see how the snowball effect worked. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS,WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY AND NEED TO USE IT. UNTIL WE RETOOL FOR A MORE EFFICIENT VEHICHLE, WHATEVER THAT MAY BE, AND PUT PEOPLE BACK TO WORK PRODUCING IT, WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE OLD PART OF THE VINE THAT DIES OFF. Put people back to work, and the credit crisis will fix itself. If we come up with a different source of energy to fuel our cars, we can spur an industrial revolution in this country that we haven`t seen since Edison invented the light bulb. And put everyone back to work, From one union buy god millwright
  9. ChevyFan

Well, no one has been able to show me how the automakers and the oil industry have been working together to build each other up at the expense of the general public, that seems more like emotional class warfare argumentation to me. I mean, GM lost $40 billion last year and Exxon made $40 billion. I doubt if they got together and said, "Hey, let's break even!" GM lost money becuase fuel was high and Exxon made money becuase fuel was high.
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Wow, that was starting to read like one of those conspiracy statements. No offense intended.