1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The demise of the 2500 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Jamm3r, Aug 29, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

IMO, the only reason to get an 8 foot bed is to haul plywood or drywall with the tailgate up.
  2. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

Agree! AND YOU HAVE A NICE TRUCK!
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In 2007 didn't the suburban lose the fold flat seats capability?
    Now I will probably buy a 2004-2006 to replace the 1998 someday(but the 98 runs soooo well)
    I would probably avoid the 2007 because we sleep in the suburban-at rest stops-and my wife doesn't like the slight uptilted sleeping position of non fold flat seats(our Pilot's second row didn't fold quite flat)
    Of course it is more a 4x8 building material thing
    but yes GM does not see suburbans as "work hauling vehicles" they are people haulers and boat trailer haulers.Mainly bought to haul people an d "stuff" soccer teams

Guessing GM figures there crossover SUVs are close enough to minivans-minivan market isn't as big as it once was-The last minivan GM made-wasn't great-Toyota Honda even the Dodge were better.
    Maybe they should offer a lowered smaller tired version of their big 204" crossover-Acadia???
    De-macho it a bit-but make the step in lower-smaller tires etc
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I did checkout the acadia when we were vehicle hunting. My sister has one. There is no leg room in the third row and when the third row is not folded down it is hard to even fit a stroller behind the seat.
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

NOOOOO! A 2500 Suburban was going to be my next truck in a few years!!
  6. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

OK-just curious, why were you going to buy one?
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I currently have a 1500 Silverado and I want a beefier truck so I am thinking a 2500 HD. I know a 2500 Silverado would have more towing capacity than a 2500 Suburban but a 2500 Suburban would have more towing capacity than a 1500 Silverado and I really like the idea of a fully enclosed cargo area.
  8. DuraBurb

DuraBurb New Member

Jamm3r
    We work very closely with a few folks at GM (on the down low) on the changes that come down the line from year to year and like you, we hear these rumors every year, There will be a split year for 2014 much like what you saw in late 2006 with the Tahoe and in 2007 with the Silverado (OBS and NBS) selling new at the same time.

Traditionally GM retools the Mexico plant first then the US plant, for whatever unknown reason the powers to be decided to retool both plants to the GMT1000 platform at the same time, what that means for us is for the next year the only new 2500 SUV's will be the ones stockpiled in the Pig-Pens built until 6/13.

You will be waiting till late 2014 for the GMT1000 2500 SUV. sorry

The 2014 2500 SUV will carry the same front diff configuration as the new GMT1000 2500/3500 Silverado and it will be going to the 8x180 wheel pattern, the rear diff stays with the 10.5" ring gear, the 6.0 will get the GDI system as the 4.8 & 5.3 but still no DOD. We heard rumors of the 6.2 appearing with a cast iron block but that was debunked :-( To bad as it would have been cool.

Don't waste time asking dealers anything, the honest ones will tell you they are the last to know anything, you would think GM would feed them some kind of info but they dont, they just log in one day and "poof" new RPO codes.

Eric
  9. cmcolfax

cmcolfax New Member

Ayup.

We have an '08 Outlook (the Acadia's cheaper sister). Great driver. Fast. Comfortable. Plenty of room... to a point.

We have three kids (Ages 5, 3 and 1) so we sold my beloved 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited and bought the Outlook.

What we have found is we can't bring anything bigger than a small collapsable stroller and if we are going anywhere for more than 2-3 days we simply run out of room.

And I won't put one of those dumb-ass looking car toppers on it.

No, not even the fancy, expensive Thule "torpedo" shaped ones.

Hence the hunt for a 2nd Gen / GMT400 Burb...

-cmc-
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Finally!!! someone agreed with me on this (or at least admitted that they agree!) We also have 3 kids, (5,2, and 25 weeks) That is how I ended up with the yukon xl and now the dodge minivan for my wife. My sister with 2 kids drives around with a huge topper on the vehicle. But, she is also the one that shows up at the zoo with a wagon full of crap to only stay there for 2-4 hours. We show up with a small diaper bag (if I don't have cargo pants on) and a stroller for the little one.