1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

The future is now: self-driving cars...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by SurrealOne, Sep 27, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

2. SurrealOne

People probably don't realize it, but this will eventually kill jobs. Why have a taxi driver when you can have a self-driving car drive you? Who needs a trucker that gets tired when you can have a truck drive itself ... which never gets tired.

And pizza delivery? Imagine a car that drives itself to your residence to deliver your pizza, an automated call goes to you upon arrival, you walk to the car to retrieve your pizza, you pay with your phone via NFC (near field communications), a slot opens up (a la vending machine style) and your remove the pizza you bought.

If you think unemployment rates are high, now ... just wait for this level of automation ... which is akin to automated checkout lines, ATM machines, and the like ... except now it's mobile ... and with computers and phones and voice recognition, it's also interactive.

3. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

ohh look its a toyota even, that thing should drive itself back to japan if ya ask me

4. SurrealOne

There's a Toyota plant in Mississippi that opened in June of 2011 -- it makes Priuses. What constitutes an American car, today???

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Even Honda (the Ridgeline in particular) is more American than my Silverado I drive. The technology may be Japaneese but in the end, which one creates the most jobs here in the USA per vehicle?

6. SurrealOne

I tend to agree with that approach (whichever creates the most jobs in America, per vehicle). If we go to self-driving cars, though, a lot of jobs are going to be nuked. Understand, too, that these are typically the jobs done by those without higher education -- meaning a greater dependence on the system by more people due to even fewer jobs available for the less educated among us.

While self-driving vehicles are great for blind guys ... and drunks who need to get home ... and the trucking industry to reduce costs ... and the manufacturers of such vehicles ... I think they're not so great for the economy, as a whole.

7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I dont think I would ever allow something like a vehicle to control itself while im in it. The computer(s) that are running the cars are designed by humans so it can't be perfect. Especially in an ever changing environment. Also how does the self driving car give a wave to other drivers that arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time to go or acknowledge a wave from another driver to go. Might be a ways off yet.