Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

The latest damage

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rileyjr16, May 4, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ok here's what happened. I put the OEM headlights on my truck and after a while I decided to put the clear aftermarkets back on. Well I had to fix the spread pattern on these lights so I parked at the end of the driveway and pointed the lights at the shop 30 feet from the from the end of the driveway. I got them where I thought they were good so I closed the hood just until it clicked before it was locked down and decided to go for a quick ride 100yds to the subdivision entrance down the road. Turned out of my road onto Highway 431, no cars behind me or in front of me; I was going about 15mph at this point and just as I took my foot off the gas pedal, the freaking hood flew up. I saw it starting to go up but I was not fast enough to hit the brakes. It went all the way up and stopped where it should. Got out and closed it, then turned around to go back home. When I got home, is when I noticed the 2 big creases on the edges of the hood and the larger gaps. So I used the meat hammer and got the gaps a little closer together and the creases down a little so I won't go crazy seeing them. Crazy thing is, in 2010 I went 35 miles from Gonzales to Baton Rouge on I-10 at 75mph with the hood not closed all the way and it didn't open...not sure how it was not closed and I know I didn't hit the lever since the lever broke and requires a pair of pliers to pull the cable.

Attached Files:

2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Thats too bad ,you just never know whats going to happen

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I've done many things to my vehicles that I hate to admit over the years. Maybe you can parlay this into a new hood?

4. Dnarvel

Dnarvel New Member

The first thing that comes to mind is "OUCH", sorry to hear that. I've also gone a fair distance with the hood only partially closed and never had a problem. Must have just been one of those times. On the good side, those creases don't look too bad (I don't see any sharp angels in the pic). Either yourself or a body shop should be able to make the majority of it go away. Cheaper than a new hood at least.

5. rileyjr16

Trying looking around the junkyards first. SurrealOne offered me his if the body shop still has his old one.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

heh, i found out my 11 has a hood open alert if its not fully latched. thought that was kinda funny. sorry about your hood riley. at least it didnt fly up all the way and smack the windshield.

Alex

7. rileyjr16

Me too or I would have ^%$# a cinderblock...not a brick. Got the creases somewhat beat out but I think I'll just go ahead and buy a new hood.