The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by unplugged, Nov 20, 2007.

1. RAG PA

RAG PA New Member

After reading the post in regard to the PCM...I am from old school carbs, 12 wires under the hood no plastic parts and honest truth don't know my way around under the hood anymore...couldn't you just pull the stock pcm and switch it with the modified one, plug in the original when needed for service? seems it wouldn't leave a trail....keep it in the glove box if you have a breakdown... just wondering

2. toothpick

toothpick New Member

The mileage for one would not match up in some of the newer models. One ECM would show one mileage the other showing another mileage, only one would match with the odometer reading.

3. RAG PA

RAG PA New Member

duh

Well I guess that should have been obvious too me!....:neutral:

Guess if you don't change anything that would void your :rules: warranty your safe...like I said I'm kinda old school and probably won't change much...DIC, fogs, running boards and rear wheelwell liner.

Speaking of which...what recomendation for a wider runningboard for a NSB' I really like the stock ones on my Trailblazer.
    Any input guys...I value your opinions

4. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

before you do anything check with your dealer... my dealer treats me and my whole family right.... they've told me this exact thing before that if the mod caused the problem it wouldnt be covered.... but i installed a leveling kit about 10 months ago and my ball joint on my front drivers side went out last week and they changed it under waranty even though that the kit probably was the cause of it... and im also getting my truck tuned thursday by one of the managers at the dealership and he said if something goes wrong he'll put my stock settings back on before i bring it in... so just check n see how they'll treat you..

5. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Not really true. GM has had mileage logging for a while in the E38, much like they have reflash history in there too (though not as intricate as the LMM). But, they never seem to enable the ability to read any of this data with the Tech II.

6. pperschke12

pperschke12 New Member

I have a 2012 silverado LT would doing some kind of performance/aftermarket exhaust cause problems with my warrenty?

7. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This thread reminds me of when I had an electronic cigarette store. Customers would order parts and connect them to a modified higher voltage device to get more out of it. The down side is that these parts fry when you up the voltage, so I always had customers trying to return parts they fried themselves by running over voltage. As a business owner, it is a pain dealing with people who break their stuff by not using it as it was designed to be used and then want you to give them a new one. One of the reasons I don't sell them anymore. I got tired of fighting with customers like that. And yes, you can tell when they have been burned out due to over voltage. They get a smell about them.

8. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is no mistaking the smell of a burned up electronic part. Once you get that smell in your nose, it is difficult to get rid of it. Since I work on elevators, I deal with this all the time especially in the summer time due to lightning strikes. 10000 volts going through 24vdc circuits doesn't work very good. It tends to fry a lot of components.

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I LOVE elevators!!! I used to get into the elevator shaft at various places I worked and ride the top of the elevators. I love to explore the "secret life of machines". Once, I found a floor that the elevator didn't actually have a button for on the control panel. I imagine that is what the digital number pad inside was for. Turned out to be a totally unsecured headquarters for the company that owned the building. I could step right in from the top of the elevator car.

As a side note, I HAVE actually been banned from 1 hotel and 1 office building for screwing with the elevators. LOL!

10. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Its a wonder you never got hurt or killed. An elevator is a very dangerous piece of machinery if you don't know what your are doing. There has been many instances of college students getting killed from doing what you are describing. Think of it has playing in traffic. Eventually the outcome is not going to be pretty.