The Most American car

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Jul 28, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The list of the most American built cars is out, GM has 3 spots in the top 10 but doesnt show up until #6, Ford shows up at #2, Toyota has 3 top 10 spots and shows up at #1, Honda twice at #3 and #5, and Jeep at #8.

1. Toyota Camry
    Georgetown, Ky.; Lafayette, Ind.

2. Ford F-150
    Dearborn, Mich.; Claycomo, Mo.

3. Honda Accord
    Marysville, Ohio

4. Toyota Sienna
    Princeton, Ind.

5. Honda Pilot
    Lincoln, Ala.

6. Chevrolet Traverse
    Lansing, Mich.

7. Toyota Tundra
    San Antonio, Tex.

8. Jeep Liberty
    Toledo, Ohio

9. GMC Acadia
    Lansing, Mich.

10. Buick Enclave
    Lansing, Mich.

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Tim,

Thanks for posting this Tim. I assume what determined the "most American" designation is where they're assembled. I suppose that's a good sign for our economy, but what does it say about the cars people buy and the reason they buy them? Would you buy any of the vehicles on this list?

3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Can you supply any of your resources for this list? Im not trying to sound like a jerk I'd just like to read the whole article.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Thanks man. Now I got some reading to do

6. tbplus10

Yea Yahoo Autos.

American-Made Index recognizes cars that are built here,
    have a high percentage of domestic parts,
    and are bought in large numbers by American consumers

What bothers me is the big three should not be getting beat on a list like this, their on there home field and should be leading this pack.
    Dont know if you ever read Automotive buisness news much but they had an article a few weeks ago how Toyota America pays American assembly line workers half of what the big three pay, the benefits are equal i.e. medical, dental, retirement, Toyota America workers spend 32% less time layed off or on down time, their average annual take home pay is 25% higher, and their end product has consistantly rated higher quality by consumers.
    One thing that helps Toyota America is they have no unions, this is by employee choice.
    Maybe it's time for management and employee's at the big three to take a hard look and see whats going on, why Toyota America can do the job in the U.S. pay a higher tax on the products they do import, but in the end make a larger profit share and get better ratings.

Most Japanese companies, Toyota included will credit a lot of their success to Dr Demming, if your ever in the mood for heavy reading on theorys and management google "Dr Demming" specifically "Post war Japan", this was the man that changed Japans way of doing buisness at home and abroad. The U.S. Navy uses Dr Demmings theorys for their advancement and management programs, the success rate since implementing them has tripled.

7. tbplus10

While we may not favor the vehicles on this list it's obvious there is a part of the public that favors them, and I hate to admit it but Toyota and Honda have gone to great lengths to show it's possible to build a quality vehicle in America that the public will buy.
    I presently own a 1999 Toyota truck thats outlasted 2 other GM trucks, 2000, 2003, doing the same if not harder jobs as them even though they were both 3/4tons and its a 1/2ton. You dont have to like or buy their autos but the Japanese auto manufactures have got something going for them otherwise they wouldnt have the success theyve been carrying for a few years.
    When you take away the "built in America" tag from domestic auto manufacturers it doesnt leave the consumer much confidence in that manufacturer, especially since foreign auto manufacturers have been getting good quality ratings for years, what incentive is left for an American consumer to buy a supposedly American auto?

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Saturn used the Japanese model when they first started out. So they were able to make lower priced cars with quality. Even though they fell under the GM umbrella it was not advertised that way. Also if my memory serves me correctly they weren't part of the UAW. Which means they were bringing home more of their hard earned money. I was hoping after the bailout that the UAW would get busted. Of course that didn't happen. This thread could easily turn into a union bashing thread which to me is a big part of the issues with the big 3.
    The only car listed in that top 10 list I would own/drive is the GMC Acadia. My wife and I looked into the Saturn Outlook which is the Saturn version of the Acadia when we bought the Vue. The Acadia is an option when she wants a new ride.

9. tbplus10

Yea it could easily turn into bash the unions.
    Management at these particular auto manufacturers shares blame too though.
    And to be fair to unions they did have a good purpose in the begining, when the U.S. govt. wasnt looking out at all for the working class and allowing the captains of industry to exploit the workers. Govt. oversite has come a long way and it leaves the debate open if unions are needed anymore or not.
    But the fact remains there are foriegn companies showing us on our shores it can be done better, we need to take notes. Probably some of the biggest problems with American companies is they invest to heavily in upper management so much so that senior V.P.'s are stepping on each other and they overpay senior management. But thats not something we'll solve here, in the end list's like this are just another way of voting because come Monday morning somebodies gonna be out of an office since they didnt make a projected goal, the first mistake the company will make is not honestly reviewing to see if that position is really needed.

Yea Saturn used the model but along the way they got greedy and tried to project profit margin ahead of quality manufacturing. Stick to the basics and dont get greedy, I'm not saying it works every time but people will continue to buy a quality product even if the price goes up a little, but that price increase has to be within reason or they'll walk for a better deal even if they loose a little quality.

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The question on whether unions are still needed id something I have wondered for a long time. And the main argument against them is as you stated the gov't agencies that are in place to look out for our well being. I thought the down fall for the Saturn brand was that GM saw how profitable they were and tried to "fix" it. But either way it is a sad statement to the big three when they are out sold in their back yard.