1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Most Unusual Electrical Problem with 2000 F1500 Silverado 4wd

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by johndrew, Mar 1, 2013.

1. johndrew

johndrew New Member

I was driving my 2000 Silverado truck and from the dash I hear a medium sound click , like a relay. At the same time ABS,and check Brake lights on dash come on. The speedometer goes to zero, the trip mileage goes to 8888888, and returns to normal then repeats this for about 10 seconds.

I stopped about a mile down the road. Went in and came back out and it started and everything appears normal, then 1/4 mile it starts again and the fuel pump and transmission does not work, then starts to work okay again.I get home and disconnect the battery and reconnect. Everthing appears ok

The next day, I drive 100 miles with no problems. Go to auction and afer the auction it does it again after about 1/4 mile. Then in 1/4 starts working okay again. I stopped at a O'Rellys and they thought it might be the alternator. Since the battery light came on sometimes but did not have the tools to remove the belt. Drove back 100 miles with no problems.

There has never been a check engine light come on although my check battery light comes on at times.

Any suggestions.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would have the battery and alternator tested. I would suspect that you have some other electrical issue going on also, but would fix the charge light issue first. that may resolve some of the other issues. I have heard of the power supply for the instrument cluster going bad and causing issues. But, when that happens they usually just go dead. They can test the alternator right on the truck. Although, I have been told that a bench test is more accurate. What do you mean that they did not have the tool to remove the belt? On those you only need a ratchet. On my 05 you just need a basic socket set. I had alternator issues and changed my alternator multiple times with a basic socket set, no special tools required. Yes it is easier with a long bar, but in a jamb you use what you have.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Deal with the charging problem first. If, after that, the problem persists, I'd start looking for a short. (The so-called 'click' you're hearing could be the muffled sound of an exposed wire shorting to ground...)
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm thinking you have a loose connection in the fuse panel. I don't have a diagram of your truck, so I don't know which panel.

Try the one under the hood first, see if any fuses appear loose, try shaking the wires coming from/going to the panel.

You may need someone in the cab to watch for the problem,