1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The MPG Gain Thread

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Parkrat, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

This is the place to post the ways you have tested to get better mpg, or any non tested methods, lets hear them all.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The best way to gain MPG is to drive the speed limit if you have a 4 speed because you have only one over drive gear. While 6 speed trucks can travel faster because they have 2 over drive gears but get equal MPG. On my 96' I can get 21MPG US on the highway when going 55, but I lose like .2 MPG per every MPH faster I go.

Warning to the starter to this thread sometimes they can get very opinionated.
  3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

My z71 was getting 16.7, it was depressing for a while, untill I saw what others were getting around here, I did switch to nitro fill in my tires, I was not fishing for better mpg in doing so,I did it becaue of all the perks that come with that. however it did make an improvment. same tire pressure, 35 psi all around on the factory 18's, my mpg went to 17.1. that is not huge, but it did give me a happy face. I cant swear nitrogen in the tires did it, but that is the only change I made in the past two months other than wheel well liners and some graphics, I would sound like a whack job giving the credit to those, lol.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I started running Tc-w3 marine 2 cycle oil in my fuel in March. I add one ounce to every 5 gallons of gas. The truck runs and idles smoother than it ever did. The slight fuel pump buzz I had is now gone. The oil is supposed to lube everything, fight corrosion, and clean the ring packs. I was getting 15.4 mpg in the city before I started using it. Now I get a consistent 17.4mpg in the city. My dad started running it in his Avalanche and Saturn Vue last month and has also noticed a smoother idle and increased mpg. I just bought a bottle of injector cleaner and dumped it into my wife's van. Then I poured one ounce at a time of the Tc-W3 into the bottle marking each ounce with a sharpie on the bottle. I started with a fuel tank of gas (31 gallons) and dumped 6 ounces in. If I stop and put 10 gallons in, I dump 2 ounces in and refill my bottle when I get home. Like I said I have been doing it since March and have not finished my first gallon of oil. I stopped using it for 2 tanks of fuel because I thought I screwed up my mixture. My mpg returned to 15.4.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know people will argue with me, but the best way to get better fuel economy is to use the friggin cruise control. This is especially important on long trips.

People will blab that they are "better" at controlling engine RPMs or "I want to be in control", blah, blah. Studies have shown using cruise control can net people 7-14% better fuel economy. Cruise is on there, you paid for it, use it.
  6. Parkrat

Parkrat New Member

Your right on both counts, my driving I 99% in city so I use rolling starts at the reds and coasting, they both work well.

- - - Updated - - -

Pikey will any 2 cycle oil work or just the tc-w3 stuff? I use efs in my Silverado but I would like to test that in my tracker.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It has to be the marine Tc-w3. It has the additive package that works best for vehicles. google "Tc-W3 ls1" the first thing that should come up will be a forum thread about it. It is some 52 pages long. I would start at the first page and give it a short read (unless you have a bunch of spare time on your hands, in that case read it all and give me the cliff notes version)
  8. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

If you live out in the sticks, where all the roads are 55 MPH, then it's great. If most of your driving is local roads in urban/suburban areas, and travel only short trips on the highway, cruise control probably isn't going to help much. Here for example, there's usually enough traffic on the highway for the short amount of time I ever spend on it, that cruise control isn't really usable, as I end up having to hit the brakes every now and again, due to people not knowing where they're going, or how to drive in the correct lanes.
  9. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The only thing I really do is keep my tires aired up. I run 45 psi in my tires and I have noticed about 1.5 mpg gain over the recommended 35 psi.

I'd definitely like to hear more about this 2-cycle oil in the fuel.
  10. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

Running your tires over-inflated will get you better MPG, but will also result in increased tire wear, decreasing the life of the tire. The best pressure to run at, is where pressure and fuel economy are in balance for the load you're hauling. If your truck is empty, you'll want lower pressure. If the bed is loaded, you'll want increased pressure, mostly on the rear, and maybe a few PSI up front if necessary. If you're towing, you'll want increased pressure in the rear for the increased load, and depending on the rear load, you may need to actually decrease the tire pressure up front slightly from normal, if it causes a decreased load from normal in the front (due to slight body lift up front from the tongue weight in the rear).