1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

The OVERSPEED warninng in the dashboard.

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by Nasoor, Jun 8, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Nasoor

Nasoor New Member

Dear,

I have TAHOE 2011 LTZ (from DUBAI) - middle east version.

if the speed reached 120 KM/H or above it shows warnining VEHICLE OVERSPEED in the dashboard and this alarm can not be acknowledged, its stays there and blocks other details like Timer, Abmient Temperatire, ODOmeter etc.

I want to know if there is a way (not to disable) but to acklowdege the alarm so it will dissapear from the from screen and I can view other information on the dashboard screen.

Regards,
    Nasser

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Diablo Preditor and Trinty can turn off the speed limiter in the American models but I don't know if its the same on the middle east version. Try DiabloSport.com for more info.

3. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

Easy to fix. Slow down ;) just kidding.

Seriously though, it is a pain but also consider it's there for more than just safety. When these vehicles are engineered, they design them for specific use. With most trucks, they are designed for hauling stuff, instead of "hauling ass". If you see the "Overspeed" warning, then you are pushing the mechanical parts of the vehicle beyond what they were designed to do. I'd hate to see what would happen to a Tahoe if it's drivetrain failed at over 120 MPH. Wouldn't be pretty.

That of course doesn't mean you can't buy aftermarket parts to push that envelope higher, which a lot of people do. Just a bit of insight, I hope it helps you understand why you see this. Have fun!

4. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

@Nargg
    Unlike in the US, overseas ( for sure in Saudi where i've rented cars before ) they have speed warning lights on the dash to tell you your going over the national speed limit. I believe its normally 120kph. Everybody drives like 120mph over there, so you get used to the damn thing beeping at you.

From what i can read its hardcoded in the computer tune for all gulf states, Call your local GM dealer and see if they can reprogram the unit.

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The original poster had said 120 km/h, not 120mph. That's only about 65-70 mph.

I don't know if there is a way to acknowledge that since we don't have that warning here, and there are few places in Canada you can get away with driving that speed for and extended time. If it bothers you enough, your options for disabling it would be to either see if your dealer can do that or get a PCM and BCM out of an American Tahoe with IDENTICAL features. If you go to your dealer, they would probably have to request the programming from gm since their computer runs off of your vin number and will limit available programming to what is designed for your market originally. This could be an issue if there are ever any future calibrations as they would also need to be requested for American vehicles.

6. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

Oops, my mistake guys. Thanks for the clarifications.

7. Nasoor

Nasoor New Member

Thanks folks . I think will live with it, :)

8. srr2

srr2 New Member

I know this is an old thread, but since no one has mentioned the real reason for the speed limiter, I'm resurrecting it.

It's TIRES.

There are all kinds of tires that come OEM on these vehicles. Some of them are, shall we say, not exactly top of the line products, and especially so on 4x4s. Any tire you choose has to represent a compromise of some sort, and it's just that much worse on 4x4s where GM really has no idea what you have in mind to do with your vehicle.

So if they install a snow-tire-wannabe with the intent that you may do some offroading, particularly if you order the offroading suspension, then your top speed on those is going to be compromised.

Basically you can buy tires in a very wide range of load and speed ratings. You definitely do NOT want to overspeed tires, especially when you're driving around in a Hot Place like anywhere in the Middle East. Thus the speed warning.

If you go buy a set of nice V to Z speed rated tires and forget about any offroading, then you can safely consider changing the set point of the speed warning. OTOH, if you happen to have tires like those that came with my new truck, you really really don't want to overspeed them.

So how do you know what you have? Look for a 4-digit string on the tire sidewall. Three (maybe two on some small tires) numeric digits followed by a letter. My tires are "112S" The 112 is the load rating (weight on the tire at a specified pressure) and the "S" is the speed rating. S happens to mean 180kph. Here's the Wikipedia article that explains it all thoroughly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

9. boturki

boturki New Member

yes i have the same but 2010 and really annoying it would be bette if it blinks 3 times and goes off and the rest on info comes back

10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

120KPH is just over 72mph-probably what folks here-USA- usually drive on a 70 mph interstate.

What are the speed limits like in the MIddle East??
    72mph doesn't seem like a tire limitation speed. I kinda doubt GM puts tires with a limit that low on any vehicle.
    Heck I doubt any tire manufacturer makes tires- other than some sort of extremely heavily lugged mud tire-with such a low limit.

I bet it is a prevailing speed limit sort of thing.

Maybe a ME country insists on such a limit- Israel,Egypt,SA ??

Charlie
    PS I remember the 85 mpg speedometers of the early 80's- because of our 55mpg national speed limit. 140 mph motorcycles came with 85 mph speedometers.Cars were pretty pitifuL- SLOW- FROM ABOUT 1974-1984. 350's were rated at a pitiful 175 hp I think.