1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The real story behind the Chevrolet bow tie

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Thought this was very interesting. I wonder if someone would be able to make a trademark infringement claim, or if that other business is even in businesses anymore.

xlarge_2011-chevrolet-bowtie-960.jpg

coalettesad_300.jpg

http://huffineschevy.posterous.com/the-real-story-behind-chevrolets-bow-tie
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

???? Is there a story behind this?
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Ok never mind I found it....:great:
  4. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Interesting
  5. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member

i had heard the story of the wall paper before but never this one, kinda neat.

Give it a week and the ancient astronaut theorists on the history channel will get ahold of it, say they supposedly found a bowtie carved in ancient ruins, and that Durant was in contact with extra terrestrial knowledge. That show cracks me up!
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I guess back then logos were not as well protected from trademark violation. I wonder if that company is still in business in some form.
  7. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

Good info Steve. I always wondered where the Bowtie was from. Thanks for the post. :glasses:
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Trademarks are only protected by law within the industry where they are used or where they might confuse purchasers. There is also a requirement to defend the trademark since a pattern of otherwise infringing use over a period of years may establish a competing claim.
  9. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member Platinum Contributor

companies have to keep applying for trademark renewal as well, thats one reason that they change their logos from time to time, helps to keep it fresh and it's a new trademark with a new start date.