The right battery for a plow truck

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chadlys93Silverado, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Chadlys93Silverado

Chadlys93Silverado New Member

Hey all! I've got a single battery in my silverado, which is set up to plow. When I ran my plow last year, it all but killed the battery when raising the plow. I was told that a second battery was not necessary and that I should look for more cold cranking amps. I've got 800 CCA and that's about the highest I've seen. I think there is more to this. Can anyone help?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well I don't know about plows down here in Alabama, but I use a Optima red battery because my winch killed the stock battery.

3. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

What you need is a 2 battery setup and at least an 180 amp alternator, Thats what would be considered a minimal set up here in Minnesota, but then again some plow guys run there plows for up to 12-14 hours a day on a real bad snow fall and run up to a 250 amp alternator. I dont know how much your really going to be running your plow but any thing more then an hour or 2 puts to much load on a single battery and stock alternator, and even worse if you add extra strob lights.

4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

My truck before I bought it was used to push snow. It has the two battery setup. It worked for him so hopefully if you go this way it'd work for you.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2, and they make a kit if im not mistaken for the Silverado? But i know a few people who just put in a higher output alternator since they dont plow as much (just a few local driveways and mabey their neighbors) so as mentioned alot has to do with your application.

6. Chadlys93Silverado

Chadlys93Silverado New Member

Thanks for all of your input. I guess I'll look into adding a battery and new alternator.