1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Sh!t List You Get From a Dealer

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 03HeavyHalf, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

Went and had my truck serviced at a local Chevy dealer, I expected a few simple things, but instead i got this:
    A/C Compressor and belt $1000
    |All four shocks $460
    Both front axle seals $330
    Both sides rear exhaust manifold bolts broken $1030
    Engine oil cooler hose leaking $470
    Auxillary transmission cooler line leaking $200
    Hose from transmission to radiator leaking $250

Maintenances due
    Driveline service(frt and rear differential and transfer case) $195
    Coolant flush $160
    Brake fluid flush $120
    Transmission fluid service $160
    Fuel Injection service $160
    Power steering fluid service $120
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow....lots of items and very expensive. Was this for your 2003?
  3. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

Yeah. I was like, wow. This truck has never been beat, sure its gone through a few rough spots but im not bajaing accross logs or rocks. Now alot of the little things i could do myself for little cost. But, the exhaust manifold is a whole other deal.
  4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

I would need a bank loan to get all that done,thats crazy!
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

$1030 for broken exhaust manifold bolts?! that's absolutely ridiculous.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

What are they saying is wrong with all of these?? the Ac compressor??? Sounds like the dealer trying to add some money for services that dont need to be done.
    as to the rear exhaust bolts that was a common issue with GM 5.3L and you should be able to find an exhaust shop that can do them for MUCH cheaper if you dont do the work yourself. Because $1K for something like that is rediculous. as to the oil line that is something else that you can do yourself.. Basically i would be calling the service manager and asking how they think $1K in labor is justifiable.. And tell them for that you wil not be returning for them attempting to fleece you like that.
    I hate dealers for this very reason.
  7. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member

holy drop your jaw, make u have a heart attack repair bill batman!
  8. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

wow. I've heard of some dealers shafting people with stuff like this, but that's ridiculous. Is that an estimate, or did they actually do this work?? I would think you'd have some sort of legal recourse if you told them you needed a service, and then they did all this stuff as well without asking.
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe look into getting some long tube headers. I'm not sure how much they cost, but who knows, maybe with parts and having someone else install may be a cheaper and better way to go vs putting in a couple of manifold bolts..............plus you get something new:party:

The whole list is extremely shocking to me...ouch!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

Yea. The dealership is THE Chevy dealership. Ive met the family boys that run the dealerships and they are cocky rich mofos. And they cam do those prices cause they know alot of people will bend over and take it. But yea, thats dealers for ya. I bought my truck from a small town dealer that was honest. And thanks for the ideas guys on savin money. I got a warranty on my truck but apparently it only covered getting my rear driveshaft carrier bearing done. And its a "Powertrain Warranty" apparently. Can you do long tube headers on a 03 6.0? I thought the sensors and junk would mess it up with no cats?