1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Spare.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jamm3r, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have returned to stock tires after the POs of my trucks ran oversize (and under-capacity on the pickup) and now my spares don't match. Besides one of the rims is shot.

I figure that if I'm going to carry a spare it should be of matching size so I can mount it on the (limited slip) rear axle if needed and also so I can engage the 4x4 without breaking anything.

So some questions for you all:

- Does anyone have an aluminum wheel for a spare? Because I switch between summer and winter tires I have an extra set of rims, but am concerned about corrosion.

- Is it OK to use a winter tire for a spare in the summer? The rubber is soft. I'm ok with rapid wear if I have to use the spare but don't want a tire that's unsafe on a hot summer's day

Hope you all check that your spares are aired up and that the winch thing still goes up and down.