Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

The Suburban, Camaro and old logger with no teeth.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you own a suburban, chances are you've towed something at some point.

I've towed everything from a parts car to a boat to a trailer when I moved across country. Here is one of the most memorable.

In 1992 when I was a young punk kid, a friend of mine wanted to get his 1968 Camaro painted by a pro. He was working on the engine and tranny, which were out of the vehicle, so I offered to give him a tow down to the body shop which was about 45 miles south of Seattle.

So we pushed the camaro up onto the dolly and everything looked fine. We got it hooked up to the suburban fine. Great! Everything was wonderful. Started to tow it down I-405 from Kirkland, WA to this little town in the sticks south of Seattle.

About 30 minutes into the tow, there is a problem. I feel the vehicle pull slightly to the right. I look into the passanger-side mirror and I see one of the camaro's rear tires go flying off the side of the road!!! His car was now being dragged along with sparks flying as the rear quarter-panel, muffler and gas tank are now throwing sparks all over the place.

I'm in the left-lane, I pull off the road to the inside median and we go back to look. The tires is 300 feet back in some weeds. My friend is cussing and having a fit. He runs off to get the tire, dodging in and out of traffic. Takes him about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, a WA state patrollman comes up. He says to get this thing out of the median now. So we throw the tire into the back of the burban and I take off....sparks flying, my friend cussing like a drunk sailor on leave duing the Chinese New Year.

I get across 3 lanes of traffic, down about 1/4 mile and pull into a gravel parking lot. The cop comes up, says that he's sorry to see that happen to a '68.

It turns out that my friend, in a rush to get the car painted, put the wheels on with regular square non-locking nuts! NOT LUG NUTS!!!!

Anyhow, some old logger with no teeth drove past us and helped us out. We dropped the camaro and found a parts store and got some new studs and lug nuts. Ended up taking the whole day for what I thought would take about 3 hours. We think the logger was drinking straight vodka while he reset the studs for us.

The morale of the story? Don't be an idiot! Put lug nuts on your wheels!

2. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

too funny! good visuals, I can see it now ... especially the logger with no teeth. :lol:

3. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

HAHA! GOOD TIMES!

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, it was pretty funny after all was said and done. The painter did some body work to it, ended up pushing out the rear quarter panel and it was all good.

5. ChevyFan

I changed the title too. Makes it read more like the Lion, witch and the wardrobe.