1. Dobaroy

Dobaroy New Member

Our 04 Av is equipped with THEFTLOCK. A red light blinks 24-7 and we suspect it is killing the battery as the truck sits for long periods of time. We have a new battery in it and it is charging good. Does anyone know of a way we can disconnect this feature. Thanks, Roy

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT MODERATOR Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Roy.....The Red Light That's Blinking is the Theft-Lock Feature For the Factory Stereo, and the Theft-Lock Feature is Set By Entering a "CODE".....You Need to Enter the "Code" or If You Don't Remember the Code or if it was Already Set, and You Don't Know it.....In the Owners Manual it Has the Steps on Setting the Code.....and Last Your Local Dealerships Would be Able to Help You With This Code Issue....

RayVoy and silverado002 like this.
  3. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Also, in addition to what 99 said, if the truck sits for more than 2-3 weeks or so I would consider a battery tender to keep the charge up. The electronics in these vehicles don't like low battery potentials. You could also start it and mix the fluids for a few minutes every once in awhile too.

99'HEARTBEAT and RayVoy like this.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

So Silver, are you saying the light has come on because the battery was slowly discharging because it was sitting?
    And Mike, your saying that because the battery discharged below a voltage threshold the radio is now inoperative and requires a code to reset?
    I didn't know GM used this feature (good day to learn something), a few months ago, I fixed a VW with this problem. It was an easy procedure, just followed the steps in the User manual.

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT MODERATOR Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hi Ray....the Information Below is from the 2000" Silverado Owners Manual, In Section #3....Page 24....and its Regarding the Theft-Lock Feature (If Equipped),

*Theft-Deterrent Feature (If Equipped) THEFT-LOCK is designed to discourage theft of your radio. It works by using a Secret Code to disable all radio functions whenever battery power is removed.

*The THEFT-LOCK feature for the radio may be used or ignored. If ignored, the system plays normally and the radio is not protected by the feature. If THEFT-LOCK is activated, your radio will not operate if stolen.

*When THEFTLOCK is activated, the radio will display LOC to indicate a locked condition Anytime Battery Power has been Interrupted. If your battery loses power for any reason, you must unlock the radio with the secret code before it will operate.

RayVoy likes this.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Thanks Mike, the VW manual was very similar.

7. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

No Ray, I wasn't going that far but some of the electronics in these newer vehicles have tighter required thresholds (parameters) in which they work. I have seen on some vehicles (not a lot) where a lower battery voltage caused some unusual things to happen with PCM's and sensors. As these components (IC processors etc) get more complicated the designers are incorporating voltage and current regulators and reverse voltage protection to help stabilize the power as they don't take well to fluctuations in supply voltage or current.

8. Dobaroy

Dobaroy New Member

Thanks for all the replies, will try to get our head around this. Basically we just wanted to know how we could disable this theft deterrent for the stereo so that the red light would stop flashing 24/7.