Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

thermostat replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jchughes05, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jchughes05

jchughes05 New Member

How easy is it to replace the thermostat? Also, how do I tell which temp my engine is designed to operate at, so I know which thermostat to put in it?
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Thermostats are easy to replace. Essentially 2 bolts, pull out the old one, scrape the intake and outlet, drop the new one in, spread a little silicone, and re bolt it. Allow it to sit for a while to allow the silicone to dry, and you're good to go!

If you're just going to be replacing it, any autoparts store will be able to pull up the exact replacement off the computer. If you're modifying it, keep asking around for others input.

Good luck!
  3. Dantheman96

Dantheman96 Member

I'd go with a 195 thermostat.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Year, make, model would help some since the ease of replacing does have a factor.
    On the new vortec motors 1996 to present there is an o-ring instead of a gasket so it takes less than 5 min to do the entire project. Older than 95 you have to replace the gasket and scrape etc..
    all of the 350 V-8s from 1988 up took a 195degree t-stat, as well as the 4.3L 4.6L and 5.3L as well as the 6.0L