these good motors for diesel swap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bigchevy2500, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bigchevy2500

bigchevy2500 New Member

i got a 99 5.7 suv and i'm doing a diesel conversion because of gas. i found 2 cars both for 800. a 1983 suv 6.2 and a 92 6.2 gmc van. which will be better for the swap and will they fit? is a 6.2 good on diesel or should i go with a small motor?

2. omnisi

omnisi Rockstar 100 Posts

I cant help with the mechanics on a gas/diesel swap, but I believe the 6.2 is about 200 lbs. heavier and may require suspension mods of some sort. IIRC, the early 80's J-code engines/blocks were good, but I think the "599" block castings in the 92 models was thinker/stronger. If it has the 599 block casting I would probably go with the '92.

But the 6.2 is a decent engine... not mega-power, but gets the job done and are fairly decent on fuel.

I have one with 243,000 miles on it and it still runs great.

Would it not be easier to find a 99 burb with the 6.5L turbo diesel? You may have to look a little, but they are out there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. bigchevy2500

bigchevy2500 New Member

how many mpg does your truck get? the 6.5 would be better but it is harder to find and isn't the 6.2 a little better on gas or it doesn't matter

4. omnisi

omnisi Rockstar 100 Posts

I get 16-18 in town, but I have over-size tires and heavy 10" steel wheels. I have never been on a road trip far enough to test hwy mpg.

You have to look at how much you are going to spend to get into a diesel (either one) and calculate how many years it will take to make that back and start saving money after that.

Perhaps, a member who knows more about the cost of a 6.2L swap can chime in. I drove a 99, 6.5L before I bought mine, but the the wife and I like the looks of the older models, and we got a great deal on it.

HTH

5. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Wouldn't a modern diesel 6600 Duramax give you better gas mileage?