1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

these good motors for diesel swap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bigchevy2500, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bigchevy2500

bigchevy2500 New Member

i got a 99 5.7 suv and i'm doing a diesel conversion because of gas. i found 2 cars both for 800. a 1983 suv 6.2 and a 92 6.2 gmc van. which will be better for the swap and will they fit? is a 6.2 good on diesel or should i go with a small motor?
  2. omnisi

omnisi New Member

I cant help with the mechanics on a gas/diesel swap, but I believe the 6.2 is about 200 lbs. heavier and may require suspension mods of some sort. IIRC, the early 80's J-code engines/blocks were good, but I think the "599" block castings in the 92 models was thinker/stronger. If it has the 599 block casting I would probably go with the '92.

But the 6.2 is a decent engine... not mega-power, but gets the job done and are fairly decent on fuel.

I have one with 243,000 miles on it and it still runs great.

Would it not be easier to find a 99 burb with the 6.5L turbo diesel? You may have to look a little, but they are out there.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. bigchevy2500

bigchevy2500 New Member

how many mpg does your truck get? the 6.5 would be better but it is harder to find and isn't the 6.2 a little better on gas or it doesn't matter
  4. omnisi

omnisi New Member

I get 16-18 in town, but I have over-size tires and heavy 10" steel wheels. I have never been on a road trip far enough to test hwy mpg.

You have to look at how much you are going to spend to get into a diesel (either one) and calculate how many years it will take to make that back and start saving money after that.

Perhaps, a member who knows more about the cost of a 6.2L swap can chime in. I drove a 99, 6.5L before I bought mine, but the the wife and I like the looks of the older models, and we got a great deal on it.

HTH
  5. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

Wouldn't a modern diesel 6600 Duramax give you better gas mileage?