1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

They Broke in to my Truck......

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by schmule, Sep 8, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. schmule

schmule New Member

So after parking in the front row of my Local Cracker Barrel, I returned to my truck to find that a screw driver was used to pop the lock and then enter the Truck. Nothing was taken thank God, even though my new Jet Tuner was on the floor board, but still I have the damage to deal with. The officers told me that is it very common to have this type of break ins on Silverados so I am wondering if you all have any ideas on what I can do to maybe beef up the security of that door handle lock. This is my second break in on less than a year but the last time was a crack head with a rock through the window while I have the GPS and Radar Detector out in view while in a Parking Garage, I know I was asking that one.

I would love to hear any ideas of an alarm system to stop break ins or a better security lock on my truck.

Thanks!!
  2. 504BOYNTEXAS

504BOYNTEXAS New Member

you can go get a viper alarm with a 2 way so it will alarm you if the alarm goes off and you should tint your windows and avoid bad areas
  3. schmule

schmule New Member

Windows are tinted and I was on the good side of town. I was going to look into Jimmy Jammers and then an alarm system
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Not sure what to tell you, I live in a relatively safe area in a really good part of town and some creeps tried to get into my silverado and the factory alarm went off and woke me and my neighbors up but they were gone by the time people got outside. Infact the truck was parked right under a street lamp in front of the house.

Apparently other vehicles were hit in the neighborhood that night also, but they did not get in my truck. Called the cops filed a report, and was told there was nothing they could do. They did step up patrols for a while at night though.
  5. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Preventing it from happening again...hmmm...I would go as far as making the loudest alarm you've ever heard go off if you try to even touch my truck. Of course I'd only alarm it in situations I wouldn't be near my vehicle so that it fulfilled its purpose. Luckily, like you said, they didn't take anything.
  6. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 Member

it kind of sounds like u maybe have someone thats targeting u. i would park where theres constant cameras and like u said get a loud alarm
  7. schmule

schmule New Member

No target, this was on different sides of town and almost a year apart. The first time was in a bad place and I left stuff out in the open and they smashed the window,I learned my $3,000 lesson. This time I went into to eat on the better side of town in the front parking row of the restaurant. They then popped the lock which as the officer explained was really common and easy to do. The officer was shocked as well, he said he would have parked where I did and not thought anything of it.

I don't want an alarm that is going to go off every time the wind blows, I have had that neighbor and not happy with him but any suggestions of a good alarm?
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There is a Co that makes a 1/8 steel peice that goes around the handle from the inside. If you do an alarm be SURE
    to get a Glass Brackage sensor It's a high pitched mic that would pick up a tap or your glass breaking
    that the Shock sensor will not.

Most alarms do NOT have a Glass sensor but it can be added for under $50.00..
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is solid advice.

As for alarms -- Viper or Python. Both are made by the same manufacturer (Directed Electronics). Viper has dealer protection (i.e. must buy from an authorized dealer and have them install it if you want warranty support) and tends to be pricier because of it ...whereas Python does not.
  10. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Truth is, there really isn't anything you can do. In this day an age, people just have no respect for other peoples property. Window tint and better alarms won't stop them. With dark tint and an alarm, someone broke into my truck, during the day, in the middle of a public parking lot while I was at work. They pried the window out, so it shattered, and fell on the passenger seat, ripped the leather, destroyed the interior and exterior door panel. And the jerks cut themselves on the glass, so they got blood on all the seats... This was during the day, and they still managed to have enough time to go through the whole truck... Happened over a year ago, and I'm still p*ssed about it. Someone "broke" into my suburban twice too.. Well, they just opened the doors, and stole stuff, but at least they didn't cause any damage to my truck...