They Broke in to my Truck......

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by schmule, Sep 8, 2012.

1. schmule

schmule New Member

So after parking in the front row of my Local Cracker Barrel, I returned to my truck to find that a screw driver was used to pop the lock and then enter the Truck. Nothing was taken thank God, even though my new Jet Tuner was on the floor board, but still I have the damage to deal with. The officers told me that is it very common to have this type of break ins on Silverados so I am wondering if you all have any ideas on what I can do to maybe beef up the security of that door handle lock. This is my second break in on less than a year but the last time was a crack head with a rock through the window while I have the GPS and Radar Detector out in view while in a Parking Garage, I know I was asking that one.

I would love to hear any ideas of an alarm system to stop break ins or a better security lock on my truck.

Thanks!!
  2. 504BOYNTEXAS

504BOYNTEXAS New Member

you can go get a viper alarm with a 2 way so it will alarm you if the alarm goes off and you should tint your windows and avoid bad areas
  3. schmule

schmule New Member

Windows are tinted and I was on the good side of town. I was going to look into Jimmy Jammers and then an alarm system
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

Not sure what to tell you, I live in a relatively safe area in a really good part of town and some creeps tried to get into my silverado and the factory alarm went off and woke me and my neighbors up but they were gone by the time people got outside. Infact the truck was parked right under a street lamp in front of the house.

Apparently other vehicles were hit in the neighborhood that night also, but they did not get in my truck. Called the cops filed a report, and was told there was nothing they could do. They did step up patrols for a while at night though.
  5. AMac

AMac New Member

Preventing it from happening again...hmmm...I would go as far as making the loudest alarm you've ever heard go off if you try to even touch my truck. Of course I'd only alarm it in situations I wouldn't be near my vehicle so that it fulfilled its purpose. Luckily, like you said, they didn't take anything.
  6. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 New Member

it kind of sounds like u maybe have someone thats targeting u. i would park where theres constant cameras and like u said get a loud alarm
  7. schmule

schmule New Member

No target, this was on different sides of town and almost a year apart. The first time was in a bad place and I left stuff out in the open and they smashed the window,I learned my $3,000 lesson. This time I went into to eat on the better side of town in the front parking row of the restaurant. They then popped the lock which as the officer explained was really common and easy to do. The officer was shocked as well, he said he would have parked where I did and not thought anything of it.

I don't want an alarm that is going to go off every time the wind blows, I have had that neighbor and not happy with him but any suggestions of a good alarm?
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

There is a Co that makes a 1/8 steel peice that goes around the handle from the inside. If you do an alarm be SURE
    to get a Glass Brackage sensor It's a high pitched mic that would pick up a tap or your glass breaking
    that the Shock sensor will not.

Most alarms do NOT have a Glass sensor but it can be added for under $50.00..
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

This is solid advice.

As for alarms -- Viper or Python. Both are made by the same manufacturer (Directed Electronics). Viper has dealer protection (i.e. must buy from an authorized dealer and have them install it if you want warranty support) and tends to be pricier because of it ...whereas Python does not.
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

Truth is, there really isn't anything you can do. In this day an age, people just have no respect for other peoples property. Window tint and better alarms won't stop them. With dark tint and an alarm, someone broke into my truck, during the day, in the middle of a public parking lot while I was at work. They pried the window out, so it shattered, and fell on the passenger seat, ripped the leather, destroyed the interior and exterior door panel. And the jerks cut themselves on the glass, so they got blood on all the seats... This was during the day, and they still managed to have enough time to go through the whole truck... Happened over a year ago, and I'm still p*ssed about it. Someone "broke" into my suburban twice too.. Well, they just opened the doors, and stole stuff, but at least they didn't cause any damage to my truck...
  11. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Ain't that the truth! My truck was broken into back in '06 the same way schmule's was - screw driver under the lock. They stole my stereo head unit (which I took the face off of and took with me, odd) and tried to start my truck as my ignition switch and transmission lever were all jacked up. This was in the middle of the day in the middle of a busy parking lot. It amazes me how people don't notice the things that go on around them. If someone did see who did it, did they really just think the guy was doing a quick stereo install the parking lot of a sporting goods store? lol Or, like you said, why can't people just leave stuff alone that's not theirs?

Ever since then, I have wondered about anti-theft devices, like a piece of metal behind the lock to keep things from being stuck in there. I suppose a loud alarm is about all you can do. Like Kady said, there is no solid way to keep people out if they really want in, but if you had a loud enough alarm, hopefully the noise attracting a lot of attention will make the perp run off. My best efforts include trying not be a target. Tinted windows, not keeping valuables in the car, hiding things that are in the car, etc.
  12. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

sigma.jpg

If I caught someone breaking into my truck/home, this would be the only and last alarm they hear.

That really sucks. You didn't ask to see the surveillance tapes from the Cracker Barrel?
  13. donyms

donyms New Member

Avital is also made by the same company as Viper and is a 2 way. I have the 3300L and I am very happy with it. It has a 1500 feet range and I have not had a false alarm yet. I have had mine for about 2 months so far. I agree that a good alarm is a great defense as well as a deterrent. :glasses:
  14. schmule

schmule New Member

While I do conceal Carry both times I am lucky I have not had the gun in the Truck. I do have tint and I do realize that if they really want it the will get it. however I would like to make it as long and difficult as possible. I am going to look into the Alarms, the thing in the back as well as a cap the makes it look like you have uninstalled the lock. Anything to make me less of a target honestly. I noticed both times I had a suit jacket in the back and the Cops said that the thought is if you have a suit jacket hanging up you have money and would have valuables in the truck... guess I am not putting the suit jacket in the truck anymore haha.
  15. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I would say an alarm is the only major thing you can do. I would have another siren installed under the bed somewhere also. The louder the better. The 2 way alarms are nice. But, here is my question, do I want to go confront some criminal who is breaking into my truck? Chances are "No". Would it be nice to have a notice that someone is messing with the truck? Yes! But, it is a truck and my life or getting injured is not worth what is inside.
  16. sos sound

sos sound New Member

Hi can you post a link to the website selling a plate to install behind the doorhandle.
  17. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I would have to do a search for it.. I have seen it a few times just don't remember where...
  18. Kady

Kady New Member

Oooh, I know how you can guaruntee that they can't break in... Shave the door handles and locksand get remote openers... Goood luck though when your battery dies...
  19. sos sound

sos sound New Member

that won't help anything must crooks know about the manual popper if the battery dies in the truck or key fob.Unless your going to hide it behind the rear taillight.
  20. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

Get some jimmi jammers,
    i have some but have yet to install them...
    a friend bought some for his f150 when i got mine and i helped him put them in his truck, wasnt too hard... because a few weeks before someone punched his drivers side lock in and opened the door stealing all his audio equipment while he was working out at golds gym. just havent got time to put mine in yet.
    however, i have a 2-way autopage alarm system, been amazing so far, although it claims to alert you within 3,000 feet, but i hardly see more than 100 feet :/
    i like the notification though. Also a friend of mine, when he bought his truck he got some sort of subscription to an iphone app which he can do ANYTHING with...
    he can check his oil level, gas, battery level, alarm status, inside temperature, start his truck, a/c, from ANYWHERE in the world. and if his alarm goes off it calls his phone, as opposed to my little alarm pager that sounds like a little gameboy tone playing when it goes off. I think that iphone app has to be the best idea ever.
    if i have the money, whenever i buy my first new truck, god be my witness, thats the ONLY accessory im adding to it.