1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

They Broke in to my Truck......

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by schmule, Sep 8, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ain't that the truth! My truck was broken into back in '06 the same way schmule's was - screw driver under the lock. They stole my stereo head unit (which I took the face off of and took with me, odd) and tried to start my truck as my ignition switch and transmission lever were all jacked up. This was in the middle of the day in the middle of a busy parking lot. It amazes me how people don't notice the things that go on around them. If someone did see who did it, did they really just think the guy was doing a quick stereo install the parking lot of a sporting goods store? lol Or, like you said, why can't people just leave stuff alone that's not theirs?

Ever since then, I have wondered about anti-theft devices, like a piece of metal behind the lock to keep things from being stuck in there. I suppose a loud alarm is about all you can do. Like Kady said, there is no solid way to keep people out if they really want in, but if you had a loud enough alarm, hopefully the noise attracting a lot of attention will make the perp run off. My best efforts include trying not be a target. Tinted windows, not keeping valuables in the car, hiding things that are in the car, etc.
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

sigma.jpg

If I caught someone breaking into my truck/home, this would be the only and last alarm they hear.

That really sucks. You didn't ask to see the surveillance tapes from the Cracker Barrel?
  3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Avital is also made by the same company as Viper and is a 2 way. I have the 3300L and I am very happy with it. It has a 1500 feet range and I have not had a false alarm yet. I have had mine for about 2 months so far. I agree that a good alarm is a great defense as well as a deterrent. :glasses:
  4. schmule

schmule New Member

While I do conceal Carry both times I am lucky I have not had the gun in the Truck. I do have tint and I do realize that if they really want it the will get it. however I would like to make it as long and difficult as possible. I am going to look into the Alarms, the thing in the back as well as a cap the makes it look like you have uninstalled the lock. Anything to make me less of a target honestly. I noticed both times I had a suit jacket in the back and the Cops said that the thought is if you have a suit jacket hanging up you have money and would have valuables in the truck... guess I am not putting the suit jacket in the truck anymore haha.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would say an alarm is the only major thing you can do. I would have another siren installed under the bed somewhere also. The louder the better. The 2 way alarms are nice. But, here is my question, do I want to go confront some criminal who is breaking into my truck? Chances are "No". Would it be nice to have a notice that someone is messing with the truck? Yes! But, it is a truck and my life or getting injured is not worth what is inside.
  6. sos sound

sos sound New Member

Hi can you post a link to the website selling a plate to install behind the doorhandle.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would have to do a search for it.. I have seen it a few times just don't remember where...
  8. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Oooh, I know how you can guaruntee that they can't break in... Shave the door handles and locksand get remote openers... Goood luck though when your battery dies...
  9. sos sound

sos sound New Member

that won't help anything must crooks know about the manual popper if the battery dies in the truck or key fob.Unless your going to hide it behind the rear taillight.
  10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Get some jimmi jammers,
    i have some but have yet to install them...
    a friend bought some for his f150 when i got mine and i helped him put them in his truck, wasnt too hard... because a few weeks before someone punched his drivers side lock in and opened the door stealing all his audio equipment while he was working out at golds gym. just havent got time to put mine in yet.
    however, i have a 2-way autopage alarm system, been amazing so far, although it claims to alert you within 3,000 feet, but i hardly see more than 100 feet :/
    i like the notification though. Also a friend of mine, when he bought his truck he got some sort of subscription to an iphone app which he can do ANYTHING with...
    he can check his oil level, gas, battery level, alarm status, inside temperature, start his truck, a/c, from ANYWHERE in the world. and if his alarm goes off it calls his phone, as opposed to my little alarm pager that sounds like a little gameboy tone playing when it goes off. I think that iphone app has to be the best idea ever.
    if i have the money, whenever i buy my first new truck, god be my witness, thats the ONLY accessory im adding to it.