Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

thinkin about gettin programmer...any sugestions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rich-dawg, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rich-dawg

rich-dawg New Member

i've been lookin at programmers and don't kno much about them. i have an 08 chevy single cab 4x4 wit the 4.8 liter. any sugestions?

2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

custom tune will benefit you much more.

3. rich-dawg

rich-dawg New Member

around my area there isn't to many options on auto performance. what kind of place would i need to take it to get it done? how much does that usually run? and will it mess up my warranty?

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you dont know anything about it, go custom. if you like to play around with stuff, learn things on your own, go woth diablo predator. do not go for superchips

5. If you don't have any well known reputable shops in your area go with a Diablo Sport Predator.
    Since the tune is only as good as the tuner who does it. The Diablo Sport guys will also help you come up with a custom tune for your truck after you run a log and submit it to them.

We carry them so PM me for a price and also if you purchase it from us I'll help you with making any changes that need to be done.

6. suicide_star

suicide_star Rockstar

i have a hypertech power programmer III on my 07 4.8 silverado and didn't feel much of a difference, honestely. i'd say it was worth it just to change the revs, shift points, speed governor and to dial in the rear axle and tire size though. like they said above, custom tune ftw.

7. Toolman

Toolman Member

This topic is exactly why I joined this forum. I was lurking for awhile and it seemd like a bunch of knowledgable folks.

I "was" going to purchase the Hypertech originally and am on the fence about that right now. I heard about Black Bear ( all good BTW) custom tune on the forum and decided to check out his service. I have an e-mail into Justin and am awaiting his reply.

Main reason is my tire size, gear ratio and lack luster performance when I mat it. I may be middle aged but I just gotta mash the throttle every once in awhile.

My truck is an 02' Silverado 5.3, K&N air filter (not CAI) 33.5" tires, 4.56:1 Detroit gears, Dyna universal, 70 series Flowmaster cat back 3" system, OD milage is 33K. Performance is just "ok" and occasionally run it in the tow mode to get an idea were I want the shift points. I'm ok with the shift points and firmness in tow mode but not happy with how it drops back into first while rounding a turn in city traffic. The truck does get used on Forest Service roads often when I'm up at my place weekends in mountains, hence the lift and gearing.

Usually when I get the urge to get into triple figures I go on a long motorcycle ride to decompress.

I'm sure all this can be corrected if I get the right tune. Hopefully a bit more performance as well.

I'm an old school hot rod guy and am trying to learn more about the programming options available.

One of my thoughts was to have Justin do a program for me on a seperate PCM and retain my OEM should I ever have the need to take it to a dealer. Another problem is I don't have a lap top to do the Re-boot to activate the new program. Forgive me on my terminolgy as I know it's referred to as a different term and it escapes my memory at the moment. It would be cheaper for me to purchase a drop in programmed PCM than it would a new lap top to perform this modification. Then, it would allow me to install the OEM and mail back the PCM for Justin to make changes if required.

If any body has any other suggestions I'm all ears. As I previosly mentioned I joined the forum to learn from alll the Yoda's in the crowd. ;-)

8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

blackbearperformance.com

they have mail in tunes and you will learn much more...... you remove your pcm and mail it to them to get it tuned, if you wanna keep your stock you can buy a custom tune with a new pcm for 300..... also you can learn how to do a crank relearn and security relearn if you decide to go with the tuning cable.

waste of money = chips.

9. Toolman

Toolman Member

Thanks for that info....I was wondering about the $$ figure for a seperately tuned PCM. I was ready to spend that and more for the Hypertech anyway.

I guess I'll have to find out just were the PCM is located... :rofl:

I really feel stupid about this stuff....when years ago I was building small blocks and big blocks with multiple Holly's and tuned by seat of the pants with trial and error jetting. I can jet and tune my carburated bikes no problem so I have a feel of what's going on in fuel delivery.

I do machine work for the Honda Erion Race team out of my machine shop, and I was allways amazed how Rick (the motor tuner) would tune the race bikes from his laptop on the dyno. So I have a real admiration of the knowledge and learning curve this new generation of tuners go through.

There comes a time when you just have to "pay the guy" who can perform the task and this is that time for me. Looking forward to learning more from this group.

10. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 5.3 yet. But very familiar with the LSx family. My Z06 is dyno tuned with the main focus being track but still streetable. You can't do that with the handheld tuners very well. They are pre-canned tunes. Some are ok and some are pretty good. None work like a custom tune.

If you look at one of these custom tuners like the one named above. Go with the tune where you collect some data and send that to him if possible. I prefer it done on a dyno as my first choice.