Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Thinkin of puttin LED turn signal and running lights on my mirrors on my 85 silverado

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Royce Lancaster, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I haven't exactly decided how to do this yet or if it will even give the look I'm going for, I want my truck to look modern, not like a rolling christmas tree. I have a few ideas on how to do this which all involve drilling holes in the door and mirror to run wires and maintain a clean look. If I do this i plan on tying into the side makers since that act as running and turns and they only have two wires running to them, so its pretty simple. Here where I'm undecided, on which LED unit to use, I've looked at a few but I'm not sure which will be the best for this use, i also plan to use the same LED light on my grille will i do this upgrade if funds allow.

Here are the lights I'm deciding between:

[​IMG]
    I have these as interior light in the cab and tool box, love them, don't think they will look clean on the chrome mirror though.

[​IMG]
    I like this one a lot it comes in chrome and black, but its only just over 1.5 inch long, was kinda looking for something more noticeable but this one will keep a low profile and clean look.

Let me know what you guys think, don't be afraid to speak your mind, if this is done right i think it will look pretty legit.
    Also has anyone ever done this?

Here are some pictures of my truck and my other LED lights:

[​IMG]
    LED appear uneven in this picture, but for the most part their pretty even.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im an LED addict as my dad says.

[​IMG]
    If I put LEDs on the grille they will be directly above the factory turn signals, but Im not 100% of doing this. Also since this picture I have upgraded to all new head light housings and Silver Star ultra lights.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. cedicol

cedicol Member

I can not follow you on this. You drive a nice '85 truck which is (in my eyes) one of the finest trucks chevy ever built. It's a classic car and you want to make it modern. For me that would be the same as a old lady dressed in a hip-hop outfit. You see the contradiction? Each to his or here tast but this is for me a big NONO.No offence though.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You say you swapped out to headlight housings? Which one did you use and do you know if they are HID-compatible?

4. They are Pilot Headlight converters. You can put HIDs in the but it wouldn't be legal and it would put off a huge amount of glare. Im planing on upgrading to HIDs in the future but I'm going to go with HID projector lens so they don't blind oncoming traffic and less likely to get me in trouble with the law. HID projectors are different from halogen projectors.

Royce

5. Crawdaddy

Do you have any links or product names for the projector lenses that will fit in the sealed beam spot? I'll stick with my factory sealed beams unless I can move up to HIDs. I love how much light the HIDs produce.

6. Here are some Halogen Projectors: http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/spyder_projector_headlight/1104000117_SPYHE6962.aspx

Here are the ones I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006309WU/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

You can put HIDs in just about any light housing, it will just create a huge glare and could get you a ticket if the cop is a dick.

Royce

7. Crawdaddy

Ah, I was hoping you had found a correct projector housing already. I've been searching for literally 2 years without finding one.