1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

thinking 305 heads on my 350.....

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jroc, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jroc

jroc New Member

Just wondering if anybody has done this recently? I have a 90's TBI 350 with bad head gasket looking to swap for 305 heads for more power. Aside from the mileage difference any other pros and cons to this?
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

You will get a compression gain, but your going to lose flow. All in all, IMO you would be p!ss!ng in the wind...
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

That's been a performance upgrade suggestion for a long time. Apparently, the 305 heads increase compression, which increases power output. How much difference it makes, I don't know.

I do know, there was two different 305 heads, one has a smaller combustion chamber volume. It's not much, maybe 6 to 8 cc, but I do know one works very well and the other can cause problems (sorry, I don't remember which one is the best one). The casting numbers will help to identify them, look under the valve covers.