1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about a 4 inch lift and level suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by PantheraUncia, Aug 31, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't want to get a really tall lift, just enough to raise the truck a little for some different rims and tires. I have seen 6 inch lifts and I like them, but it might be a little taller than what I want.

What is involved in going with a 4 or 6 inch lift, and do I need more than just a lift kit? I guess I would also level the front of the truck as well at the same time since the 2wd trucks sit lower in the front.
  2. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

4X4's are also lower in the front, a friend of mine leveled his truck and when he towed his trailer with the atv's the front was higher then the rear, so he changed it back. As far as a lift goes they are not that easy.
  3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4 inch will probably be a good height for you. You can fit at least 33s with that. Possibly 35s depending on how much cutting you want to do. Don't combine the lift kit and a level kit imo. Shop around for a lift kit you like. There are several options out there for a 4" so you should be good. As far as what's involved, it depends on the kit, but look on google and you should find options from several vendors.
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The lift for most 2wd kits come from the spindles. Doetsch (I think that is how it is spelled) is one kit that looks good. Of course the tire/rim package is a personal thing. Let me know which route you go. If you choose to do it yourself I would be willing to help with the install.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I checked them out Alox and they look ok (I don't know enough about lift kits). From looking at their site, I guess I need the lift kit and 4 new shocks? (I get that with a bigger lift the shocks have to be long enough) would my monroe's that I installed be good enough for 4 inches or will the have to be replaced too? and is there anything else I would need?

Wheels and tires will have to wait a bit..... I can't afford wheels and tires with the lift kit and my tires are practically brand new (10 months old) and they are 70,000 mile tires and I like them :). I will need to see if I can shelf my current wheels and tires and get a "winter" set.

How far away are we talking, Surreals place is not that far away, but I am assuming you have access to a garage with a lift that is far from where I am?
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

No lift just a good size bay to work in with jack stands that are tall enough to get the job done. If you have a place by you I would come out to you as long as you have a good set of tools. To answer your question about the Monroes I am pretty sure they will not work with the kit. There are others out there that may be cheaper or less expensive.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Heh, I was using the mobile phone, yesterday, and thought it was Jeremy's truck being discussed. Nak's local, so this could be fun ... but his garage is crammed with stuff and my apartment lacks a garage (which is why I never turn a wrench, there).
  8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I wish it were mine being discussed, though I've pretty much settled on a 6 myself. I'm just putting it off until I get back due to the regear, custom tune, etc. There's just a lot involved that I'd rather be involved in.

And who knows, if the job I find is in that part of the country when I come back maybe we can still do it in Nak's garage. Make a weekend of it.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nak can barely fit himself into his garage because it's full of all sorts of stuff. It kinda looks like a bomb went off in there...