1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about a Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Aiblinger, May 1, 2009.

1. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

I am considering getting out of my 6.0L 1500 to upgrade to a Duramax with a crew cab. What I am concerned about is what the current crop of Duramax engines are producing in the real world for fuel mileage. What do you guys get from your trucks? What can I expect from a stock 08 or 09 Duramax? How much benefit would I see from adding a larger diameter exhaust and what would that cost? Also, I saw mention of "regeneration" in a few posts as I was doing research... what is that? Is that the cleaning process for the particulate filter in the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for any information. I don't know much about diesel trucks (though I have had diesel cars) but I learn quickly so I am looking forward to any advice/help you folks can give me.
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

LMM is a great engine.

Let me start by saying I would not trade mine for any other truck, I love it. You are kinda getting the facts right.....The Lmm trucks do get a few MPG less than the former D-max's. It is not the engine it is the particulate filter (DPF) that takes the MPG down. When the truck goes into re-Gen it uses around 1-2 gal of fuel to clean out the DPF. This occurs, depending on driving habbits every tank full to a tank and a half. I have talked to quite a few people that have taken the DPF off and they all seen increases in MPG. You will also need a programmer to do this. Not all programmers will do the job, but there are a lot out there that will. PPe or banks are both popular ones. I have not taken mine off yet but I do plan on doing so in the future. The down side is it will void your warranty and may be a vialation where you live.As far as my MPG, Yesterday when I filled ou I did the calculation and I got 16.7 MPG. When I drove to Wisconson last month I got 18.6.. I think that could of been better but I drove through downtown Chacaigo for about 45 min. Now when I pull my trailer I think I am getting around 14.5-15.6 MPG. I also seen a 1 MPG increase after my first oil change when I switched to AMSOIL 5W-40.
  3. I have a 2008 Silverado 3500HD, brought it home in Nov 07, and just turned 2600 miles. Bought mainly for towing an 18' flat bed trailer and 20' gooseneck cattle trailer. Daily driving a 1990 Silverado with a 454. For the Duramax no highway driving yet, best mileage so far was 15.75 mpg (this was the only fill up without any trailering). Worst so far 10.45 mpg.
  4. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

Here is another question for you guys: Is STABILITRAK available on Duramax equipped trucks? I am looking at a couple trucks online and they don't have it. Do you trucks have stabilitrak?

Thanks for all the input so far, everyone!
  5. My 2008 3500 HD doesn't have stabilitrak. Almost positive it wasn't even an option. Looks like for 2009 it is standard on all 1500 V-8's and an option on 2500 ext cab/crew cab.
  6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

That would not be an option on a 4WD, I don't think.
  7. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

my '07 VortecMAX has Stabilitrak and it is 4WD... hmm... I will do some more research. Thanks guys!
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good luck on your search!
  9. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

I know for the most part this conversation is regarding diesel trucks but my 09 2500hd ext cab 6.0 gas does have traction control and stabilitrac and is a 4wd.
  10. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

Bump

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I am still hoping for more input regarding 08-09 D-max trucks. Can anyone tell me anything that they didn't know about the truck until after they got it home? Is there anything I NEED TO KNOW before making a purchase?

thanks again!!