1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about a new project...

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by 95Chevyk1500, Feb 13, 2010.

1. 95Chevyk1500

95Chevyk1500 New Member

so im thinkin about a mud runner project. i wanna start with a rusted out/not inspectable trooper, rodeo, samurai, 22r, 4 runner, s10 or something of that nature. im talkin cut fenders no doors, flatbeds. wondering what u guys think i should use to start with. im on a really tight budget, so it will be alot of custom work haha
  2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

Well I'm not sure what kind of deals you can find where you are at. I'm sure someone that has done this will be able to point you in the right way on which one build. Look forward to seeing how it all comes together! Good luck!:glasses:
  3. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member

I would go with an S-10 personally. Probably because of the green one they built on Gearz. That thing is bad a$$.

-Greg
  4. Big75

Big75 New Member

I would go with and extended cab S10 for the long wheel base. I'm sure you're looking at near 40" tires with a rediculous lift so the long wheel base means happy U-joint angles! get you a divorced t-case, 14 bolt in the rear, HD dana 44 in the front on 52" leafs, You'll be in good shape!
  5. Big75

Big75 New Member

Or am I getting a little crazy with YOUR project? sorry. Just have high hopes for ya!:sign0021:
  6. 95Chevyk1500

95Chevyk1500 New Member

haha ya man im 17 and starting college soon, im talkin about somethin low budget. i am a big fan of the toyota 22r. i wanna do somethin with one of those
  7. pmartin816

pmartin816 New Member 1000 Posts

I would go with the s-10 if your just thinking about a mud runner. I have seen some pretty good looking samurai's but usually more for rock crawling.
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Even if you want the Yoda, just say the Chevy, remember which forum you're on, lol. Jk, I'm also a huge fan of the Yoda.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

An extra cab S-10 would be the best choice.
    I love my Toyota's, their as durable as a factory truck gets, the 22R is an awesum high winding motor and you hardly ever see broken axles, T-cases, or transmissions, and that leads to their biggest drawback, no matter what you use for a mud runner it'll break parts when you start winding it up in the slick stuff. Toyota's and thier parts are expensive, not to mention hard to find when scavenging the yards.
    A Chevy will be probably half the price of a Toyota and parts will be much easier to find, you did say you were soon to be a college student and I've yet to meet a college student with a never ending flow of cash to support an expensive hobby.
    The S-10 extra cab also has the longest wheelbase on your list which is a desireable feature for a mud runner. Although their not converted as much S-10's have a nice sturdy frame that lends itself well to being converted to solid axle (cause you'll be blowing out those front CV's at a high rate and want to go solid soon).
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

An extra cab S-10 would be the best choice.
    I love my Toyota's, their as durable as a factory truck gets, the 22R is an awesum high winding motor and you hardly ever see broken axles, T-cases, or transmissions, and that leads to their biggest drawback, no matter what you use for a mud runner it'll break parts when you start winding it up in the slick stuff. Toyota's and thier parts are expensive, not to mention hard to find when scavenging the yards.
    A Chevy will be probably half the price of a Toyota and parts will be much easier to find, you did say you were soon to be a college student and I've yet to meet a college student with a never ending flow of cash to support an expensive hobby.
    The S-10 extra cab also has the longest wheelbase on your list which is a desireable feature for a mud runner. Although their not converted as much S-10's have a nice sturdy frame that lends itself well to being converted to solid axle (cause you'll be blowing out those front CV's at a high rate and want to go solid soon).