Thinking about buying a 97 Tahoe.

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by captainstormy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. captainstormy

captainstormy New Member

I'm a brand new member here, I usually go to GMDiesel.com because my current truck is a 96 C3500 with a diesel engine but when I was looking for info about a Tahoe I'm thinking about trading in for I found this site.

I'm seriously thinking about trading off my truck.

I no longer need the large truck or the diesel engine, and a crew cab long bed with DRWs is just a PITA to drive around town.

Aside from that shes getting tired and is probably going to be due for a transmission rebuild in the next year or so I would expect with all the abuse she has been put through.

Here is what I'm thinking about getting from one of my local dealers:
    http://worlddealer.homenetinc.com/ricartpreowned/details2.asp?path-taken=used&locationid=&vehicle_id=FT71845A

Anything I should know about that engine (sadly, gasoline), transmission or the whole package in general? It looks like a good deal and a good package, I have a appointment with the dealership after work to take her for a test drive and check it out in person.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

:sign0016:to the site!

That's a good looking Tahoe. There are quite a few Tahoe owners on this site, but the powertrain platform is shared across many of the GM trucks so a lot of the guys can probably help you out with your questions.

I know what you mean about a crew cab pickup with a long bed! They're great for contractors who need to haul gear in the open bed of a truck, and haul a crew ... or for a family to get out of town while putting stuff in the bed. But man, they're hard to take to the mall!

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm glad you found us and that is a beautiful looking Tahoe!

4. captainstormy

captainstormy New Member

They said it's been sitting on the lot for about 2 months now (which from the way they talk makes me think thats a long time). My guess is with the 13/17 fuel mileage not alot of people want to buy it.

I love my truck to death, but I don't need it for farm work anymore and going anywhere around town in it can be quite difficult. Mainly its the fenders and DRWs. Problem with me thou is that I'm 6 foot 10 so whatever I can find that is comfortable to drive is going to be large and have bad mileage.

I'm just looking for something smaller, which shouldn't be hard as my current truck is well over 20 feet long and with the rear fenders its over 7 feet wide.

I do wish I could find a Tahoe with a diesel engine but those are few and far between and highly prized by diesel heads like myself.

What about the price on that Tahoe? I think it is pretty good but I can't find any similiar ones around town to compare it to, all the others around town are much newer or much older so its not a fair comparison.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Assuming it's in good condition, that price is probably "fair." Neither of you will make off like a bandit. There should be some room for negotiation, too.

When you look at it, be sure to check it out. If the coolant is low, consider walking away. If the coolant is green, and full, there's a good chance the intake manifold gasket has already been changed. If the coolant is orange (Dex-cool) and the dealer can't prove that the intake manifold has been changed, plan on watching that and having it done when it starts leaking coolant.

6. captainstormy

captainstormy New Member

What is it with GM and intake manifold gaskets? The 6.5TD has a lot of gasket problems caused by the dex cool fluid breaking down. I wish they would give up the pipe dream that is Dex Cool and admit the regular green stuff is better.

7. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That looks like a nice truck, very clean, expected wear for a vehicle with 100k+, and should be able to get 'em down a bit more on price. Especially if it's been on the lot for 2 months.

As with any vehicle, just gotta drive it around for awhile, make sure it drives well, no abnormal noises, etc.

8. captainstormy

captainstormy New Member

Well, I looked at the Tahoe tonight. It looks better in person then the pictures lead you to think.

It had dexcool in it but it was full so its something to watch for sure but IMO any engine with dexcool in it you should watch for gasket leaks.

I didn't test drive it thou because the tahoe was marked 8995 on the lot where as its 6500 on the website. The salesman that was there noticed the error when I pointed it out but he had to talk to his boss when he was back in the morning about that to fix the price since it was such a large difference.

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This type of thing happens all too often. I just purchased a small pickup for my son a couple of months ago and went to look at a couple of trucks at one lot that I saw advertised on the internet. When I arrived I was approched by a salesman and we talked about the 2 trucks and he kept mentioning how good of a deal the window price was. As soon as I told him I saw the saleprice online he played stupid and said he didn't know about any sale and would have to check with his partner to see if they were in fact on sale. I said Buh-Bye. I have had better luck making an appointment like you mentioned before with someone who knows you don't want any BS but are interested in the vehicle they have advertised. :rules:

10. captainstormy

captainstormy New Member

I didn't get the impression that it is the old bait and switch. The sales guy I was working with knew I was interested in that one from the website and the paper he printed where I made the request for an appointment had the online info from the truck and it showed the 6500 price.

He then pulled out his blackberry and went to the website and again saw that it was 6500. After I was done looking at it we went in and he checked the stores tracking system and it was listed as 8995 in there. He told me he would have to talk to the head salesman in the morning because they were only allowed to knock off a certain % of the sticker price and that would have went over his level but even he agrees that if I buy it it should be for 6500 as that is what the website says.