Thinking about buying a Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by leaking_chevy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. leaking_chevy

leaking_chevy New Member

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. If this is not the correct place to post this question, I apologize in advance. I am in the market for a new vehicle and was leaning more towards a 2005, 06 or 07 Silverado z71 5.3L. Does anyone have any advice or input of the years I mentioned? Known problems? And so on….

Thanks,
    The new guy

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill New Member

Welcome Leaking, I new also. I can't make a call on the years you are looking at but I did start out with a 2002 Silverado, 4.8 with a 5 speed stick after years of being a ford man. I put alomost 200K on that thing and the only item I had to replace was the slave cylinder for the clutch. If that truck hadn't gotten beat down by the drivers up here in NY I would probably still be driving it. But the last guys insurance company totaled it, gave me $7200 and I made minimimal repairs to the front and rear bumpers and drove it another 8 months until I found my new leftover 09 4 door Silverado. If this new one treats me half as well as the first one did I could get well over 250K out of it.

I just have to start dodging upstate NY drivers better. Been working up here for 18 months now and was hit 3 times. I kept the 02 and will probably do something radical with it. That's why I join this site...ideas.

Good luck with your choice, you won't be sorry.

3. chschevy58

chschevy58 Rockstar 100 Posts

welcome to the site. shoot i say you get a 2007 chevy silverado 5.3 new body style and you will no doubt be happy. you can get them pretty cheap with not too many miles on them. goodluck with the shopping.

4. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

:sign0016: What chschevy said above is true. When we were looking to buy a truck in 2007 we drove the classic and the nbs. We decided to go with the new style as the ride was totally different, the interior was far superior in the new vs classic IMO,...

I would always buy the best i can. so I cant really comment precisely on what you've asked:oops: and the nbs will be a few more $$ so if it is remotely possible consider it!

5. leaking_chevy

leaking_chevy New Member

Thanks for feedback! I will start my shopping this weekend...

6. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah man once you get to the 2006 and up the bugs were pretty well worked out. No more 4wd issues except the occasional issue with some but not a plauge like the earlier years. Your big decsison is what body style. I prefer the 99 body style to all the others but the NBS is a close second. i was never a big fan of the trainagular head lights. Just didnt do it for me. My only issue with the NBS is the active fuel management. I didnt buy a truck for fuel mileage and i hate the dropping to 4 banger at cruise. My friend has a NBS and the same exhauust i do. He sounds like a friggin honda on the highway. To alleviate it he leaves it in tow/hall so it wont drop to 4 cylinders becasue like me he didnt buy a truck for fuel mileage. He has a honda for that.

7. 02 Heavy Chevy

02 Heavy Chevy New Member

I have an 02 silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and absolutely love this truck. I'm new as well and will post pictures as soon as i can. This truck has pulled 4 people out of ditches this winter with no problem at all. I also put a flowmaster super 44 in place of the stock muffler and it sounds awesome. I would've liked to get the newer body style, but got a great deal on this one. No problems with it yet other than regular 100k maintenence.

8. chschevy58

2007 new body style silverados DO NOT have active fuel management.

9. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. chschevy58

it came out with the 08's and up. my 07 doesnt have it. i guess it may have been an option with the 07.