Thinking of doing the unthinkable ~ lowering Chevy Silverado 4WD

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by HawaiiKid, Dec 12, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

1-I don't go off roading. Ever.
    2-I hate the huge gap between my wheels and fenders, and am not going to be upgrading from my 20s for a (long) while.
    3-I like the look of the dropped Silverados
    4-I can't afford another truck for now, and don't want to sell my current ride.

SOOOOO I'm thinking about getting a set of 2 inch drop torsion keys, and taking the rear lift block (because it's a Z-71) out on the rear end. Thoughts?

And before you ask why, read 1, 2, 3, and 4 :)

2. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

if you dont really go off road then why not... look at it this way if you lower it most people will think its just a 2wd. this gives you an edge by having the option to launch in4wd if you plan on making your truck faster... but your probalby have to get lowering shackles to go along with taking out the blocks

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Factory lift blocks?

4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I had a 1" stock lift block on mine.The Z71S have a 2" block.

5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As long as you're not in Syracuse in the winter, I can't see any issues with it. It does feel wrong though, but you certainly make a case for it.

6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I say go for it. A slight drop would look good.

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I KNEW somethin was up when you got those sway bars Kid:rofl:

Lower IS better for handling, & mpg & with your driving style morphing to the winding roads at maximum throttle, I think lowering it is a good move.
    You will have to cut out the 5 & 6 foot jumps though..lol

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Go for it......for all the reason's you mentioned.....Your truck will look Great with a mild drop.....:great:

9. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I didn't expect all these positive comments about dropping a 4x4! I'm happy hahaha.

Ok, so I would def do torsion keys up front. But 00chevy you think I would need drop shackles in back if I pulled the lift blocks out?

Also, does anyone think I would need new drop shocks if I am just doing a 2 inch drop? I just got my Ranchos, and I really don't want to replace them-and I can adjust them to be softer or stiffer if I need to after I drop it.

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What are you tring to say??? I just got back from Syracuse... There was only 13 in's of the White stuff.... :) Had fun on my friends ATV's.. But back to the post... You might need a differant Bump stop and shorter shocks...