1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

thinking of getting headers

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 04blackz71, May 4, 2009.

1. 04blackz71

04blackz71 Rockstar 100 Posts

what kind of headers should i get for my truck i have a 5.3 z71 i dont know what kind is the best
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have JBAs short tubes with titinium coating on my 05 Z-71. Have over 70,000 miles on them and no issues. I went with short tubes for more off-road clearance. If I had a street only truck I would use the Dynatech long tubes. Ive had three trucks with JBAs that totaled over 350,000 miles and no issues with none of the headers. I do install Stage 8 header bolts at time of installtion and retorque the bolts every 12,000 miles. The JBAs and Dynatechs are expensive but in the long run there worth it.
  3. A1CMason

A1CMason Rockstar

How r gibson headers
  4. silveradotrailblazer

We tried the Gibsons when they first came out and had some real fit issues, but they may hve gotten better since, I havent heard. The JBAs fit so well they almost install themselves. Took me 1hour to install mine. Ofcourse that was with air tools.
  5. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my two cents

I have JBA shorties on my 5.3 and I cant seem to get them to stop leaking to save my life. I am really leaning towards going back to stock manifolds, Im just researching how it'll affect my supercharger setup first. I highly recommend shorty headers if your set on putting them on. as they are designed to bolt on to the cats with out having to do any welding and like in my case if you dont like them you can just bolt stock ones back on again.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

Zubbiez, have you found where your headers are leaking?
  7. zubbiez

found leak

looks like its leaking at the head I have replaced the gaskets keep tightening the bolts. I think the header must be a little bent although I cant see it. its pretty annoying
  8. silveradotrailblazer

Zubbiez, next time you change the header gasket try putting a straight edge on the header flange. Also when I install my headers I heat cycle the engine three times and then retorque the headers with a torque wrench and install the header bolt locks. I then retorque the bolts about every 12,000 miles and this seems to work. If your header is warped I would call JBA direct.
  9. zubbiez

thanxs for the info

In ordering gaskets again ill use the info youve provided and try again, if theres bigger issues I'll try jba
  10. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

I have jba's on the way. They were my only option with the 4.3