Thinking of new exhaust.....how is this flowmaster

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by VisaliaIPA, Sep 4, 2012.

1. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

Mine has the stock exhaust and was looking to upgrade. Anyone have experience with this one:

Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust Systems

Found it in the Summit Rccing catalog. Going for 479.00. I want something that increases my exhaust note but not to the point I have to wear ear plugs............thats for the stereo...LOL

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

well, not sure what engine you have, but i chopped my stock muffler out, and had a regular flowmaster 40 series welded in, sounds great! gave it some tone and a little rumble, and isnt to loud. 75 on the highway is just fine.

Alex

3. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

You can look on youtube for it. I found a video for one on my truck and it sounded pretty good I just don't want to dish the money out for it. I'm thinking about doing what you did Sierraowner5.3 and weld on probably the 50 delta.

4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We have a thread on here called truck tunes check it out. Not sure how many people have posted it though. I'd go to local exhaust shops and get a quote might be able to get a custom ran exhaust cheaper than the kit

5. dbb06

dbb06 Member

Just to give you an idea of prices. I was quoted $130 including muffler for a magnaflow muffler swap or $300 for a custom single in dual out exiting before rear tire. Flowmaster was about $10-$15 cheaper if I remember right.

6. 1500ExtChevy

1500ExtChevy Rockstar

Banks Monster Exhaust for the 5.3L with single side exit has a good sound and is stainless steel but has a price tag as always

7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Pretty much the same here. I swapped out my stock muffler for a Flowmaster Super 50 which only cost me $100. My dad and I did all the labor and welding. It sounds great - not too loud at all but you know something is back there. Sounds great on acceleration and not annoying while cruising down the highway.

OP, save yourself several hundred dollars and just swap out the muffler. Unless you want the look of the two tail pipes out the back, then get the kit you linked.