1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

this is a starter problem, right?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 9, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

hot day in stop and go traffic i stall my truck X(
    no big deal, ill restart it.... wont start... no click just a voltage drop when i turn the key...
    i roll start the truck on the freeway.... scketchy as ****!
    i get home, shut it off, it starts 3 times in a row no issue....

the solenoid got hot and locked up due to age and wear right? does this sound like anything else i should inspect/ replace based on what youve seen in your trucks?

thanks!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

could also be a bad connection or bad relay
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah it seemed like the NSS wasnt connected when this was happening. I stomped the clutch but nothing helped.
    ill need to locate the relays with the chilton book...
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Oh, I did not realize that it was a manual trans. It could also be the sensor that tells if the clutch pedal is depressed. Being intermittent like that is going to make it hard to diagnose.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It might also be a heat problem. The 350, and other GM engines have the starter mounted close to the engine and, also close to the exhaust.
    The starters will heat to the point, that they will not spin. The GM fix was to add a heat shield, perhaps your shield is missing.
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah, thats why i like the manual. its just the ECU and the ABS. less electronics to talk to one another, less chance of intermitant problems.
    ill have the store bench test the old one but for now... im gonna hope it was just a heat issue.
    this truck actually has a little heat shield on the starter solenoid right now. its cute.... clearly dosent work very well... lol
    but yeah, its right under the exhanst manifold.