1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This wind noise is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JRD761, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've got a two-month old 2012 Silverado Extended Cab that has a random and horrific wind noise that I just can't take anymore!

The wind noise only comes up at very random times... but I've noticed it mostly when I'm on the freeway (70 mph) driving North West. I think it might have something to do with the way the wind is hitting it, but I'm not 100% sure. The noise is coming from the top of the driver's side front door.. and it almost sounds like the window isn't rolled all the way up.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

And of course I take it to the local dealer today (my first day off I've had in a while that they're open), and they don't have a technician available to look at it.. And if I leave it with them, they don't know when they can get it back to me :no:
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

our 2010 has slight noise....can hear the door seal rubbing the odd time.
    Mechanic can't find the cause, and I will use some silicone spray so the
    squeak has lubricant. If you have a front Bug Deflector, your Dealer might
    tell you that is where some of the noise is coming from as they flex
    in the wind @ higher speeds......good luck in your search for answers ...BRIAN
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The most likely culprit is the cab vents on the rear wall below the glass -- the NNBS trucks have noise issues due to these. They exist in all trucks with airbags in order to prevent a pressure build-up in the cab in the event that the airbags deploy.

If you feel around under the jute (that carpet pad looking stuff) on the rear wall of each side of the cab you should find one vent on each side. Try covering them with some material that's firmly placed/pressed between the jute and the rear cab wall to see if it muffles the sound. If so you will know you're dealing with the source of the noise and can then decide how you'd like to permantly tackle it.
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had this problem too. Still have it a little but, when I went home on leave, I took my truck to a friend's collision center and he replaced my door pins for me. Now its alot quieter. The hinges are a bit worn too but the pins are what fixed my problem. Try seeing if your door has slack in it. Good luck
  5. Nargg

Nargg Rockstar

The door seal squeaking issue is an age old issue with many vehicles from the past. Baby oil around the seal has been one of the biggest solutions, but your silicon spray may work better. You just have to keep it up on a yearly basis. My 2011 has it pretty bad. To me, it makes it a truck. Kinda like it to be there for an odd reason.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

7. FABULOUZ1

FABULOUZ1 New Member

i had the same issue on my 03 silverado replaced the door pins noise stoped.
  8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have a 2012 Silverado Extended and I do not have noise as you described. It could be the window or the door seals. Have a roll of 1" blue painters tape with you and the next time you have the problem place the tape over the top edge of the glass or the rubber door seal. How much (length) is up to you and only do one or the other at a time. If one of these causes the noise to change or go away then at least you know the source. Since you mention that it seems to happen only when the wind is from a certain direction and a 70 MPH is that side of the vehicle is on the down wind side and a very large vacuum is created. The inside cabin air is getting sucked out through any hole there is.

The links about the rear cabin vents is good and the 2012 Silverado has them. I finally know where my biggest, and about my only one, compliant about the truck is from. The cab is super quite and the front end noise is very low, engine and tires are hardly heard but I do hear the rear tire and road noise at a much elevated level. It sounds as if there is no padding on the rear part of the cab and I thought how this could be where everything else to solid. The road noise I hear is coming from these vents, without a doubt but no wind noise.
  9. z715.3

z715.3 New Member

I have a friend who had the same issue. found out it was his windshield that was recently replaced before he purchase the truck. the shop didn't seal it right. had it fixed at a different shop and noise stopped.
  10. KyleRCC

KyleRCC New Member

We get this complaint on a DAILY basis.....

does it sound like a tapping noise at all? maybe a fluttering? Or like rain drops hitting the window?

GM released a bulletin to have us seal the reveal moldings (the rubber that goes vertical on the sides of the windshield) and see if that corrects it..

as far as a "whoosh" or what sounds like a cracked window... there is only one fix that we have found... the volume knob on the radio........