Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Those of you with K&N filters

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MWright936, Dec 18, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Anyone that has a K&N filter, replacement or intake, how often do you clean the filter? Mine is looking a little dingy, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to clean it.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I usually clean K&N filters about every 15k miles.
    As advertised they do flow better when their a little dirty.
  3. dgreenbluet

dgreenbluet Member

why would they flow better when their dirty? just curious
  4. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Once a year.
  5. jetcruiser

jetcruiser New Member

k&n

+1 on the once a year. done it on several vahicles now. pretty easy to do.
  6. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

From the K & N website FAQ (http://www.knfilters.com):

"If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible."

The dirtier the filter gets, the better it filters. Plus, I think what tbplus10 was trying to say is that at its dirtiest, the K & N filter still flows better than the standard paper air filters.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. dgreenbluet

dgreenbluet Member

wow thats alot longer than i would have guessed
  8. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

I can honestly say that I've never cleaned a K & N filter that I ran in one of my daily drivers. I usually sold the vehicle before it ever needed cleaning. However, I do clean the filters on the race car every year.
  9. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wow, that's a long time! I'll go for once a year haha
  10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i still dont understand how it filters better????:sign0017: