1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

thottle body spacers and Mass airflow sensors

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 03 Black Sunshine, Aug 9, 2009.

1. 03 Black Sunshine

03 Black Sunshine New Member

Been looking around and saw a few things that raised an eyebrow or two.

Mass airflow sensors: claim gains, no real number claim, but gains for hauling, performance and mpg.
    do they work??

TB spacers: do they work??

Are either of these worth the money??

tim
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

As far as gains go on the MAF I don't think it's any more than 10hp, I had one on my 05' Silverado with the 5.3. I will tell you this if you plan on getting any kind of a tune or chip for your truck don't get the aftermarket MAF, it will interfere with the aftermarket tuner that you get. I had a Granatelli MAF ($300), and then I bought a Hypertech Hyperpac ($500) and the MAF was causing problems with the tuner so I took of the MAF and it let me use the tuner with the stock MAF.

I have never had a throttle body so I couldn't say, good luck with your choice.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Mass airflow sensors will usually net gains if you've made other performance mods, bigger injectors, sometimes CAI's, or use a tuner.
    If your thinking of getting a Mass airflow sensor your better off starting with a tuner then add the MAS.

TB spacers IMO are useless.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

The MAF sensor measures the airflow as it enters the intake. So how could this sensor give you more performance? I guess the only benifit would be if the OE sensor was sluggish and the aftermarket more responsive. This is what they claim.
    Also if you talk to anyone who has bought one thay will all say they have more power and get 5 mpg better mileage. <G>
  5. 03 Black Sunshine

03 Black Sunshine New Member

okay gang that is the info I was looking for. I sorta figured the TB spacer was useless, I just wanted to ask for your all opinion.

thanks.

Tim
  6. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts

i gained 2 mpg with mine, and it got rid of a dead spot in first, so it was worth it for me
  7. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

imho

forget the TB spacer, and get a larger throttle body and CAI

then go to exhaust
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

yup tbs are garbage

and the maf will **** your **** up.

cai and exhaust

then tune.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Do you always resort to thinly veiled attempts at profanity to share your thoughts?
  10. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

i believe so