Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thought it was a rear outer seal.....

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Big75, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Took the 96 3500 on a 4 hour trip a couple weeks ago, with the camper in tow. When I get home, I notice some fluid spray all over the front of the camper, back of the tail gate and bumper, and in the lh rear wheel well. First thing that went through my mind was rear outer seal, so I ordered one. Now I that I have time to work on it, I crawl under the truck to find the tire, brake assembly, and axle from the leaf pack out is dry. That has me ruling out the seal. Despite the red color of the fluid hanging from the underside of the truck bed and off the brake lines, I have my wife jam on the brakes. I know how brake fluid feels and thats not it. It also does not smell like rear end fluid even though the breather tube is in that general area. That leaves me with the thought that the shock had a catastrophic blowout. So I unbolt the bottom of the shock, it pushes up with nearly no resistance but requires about 100lbs of pressure to travel back down. Sound like a blown shock to you? I feel like such a cheep a$$ but I dont feel like replacing something that's not broke. And I need to return a $35 outer axle seal.
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Sounds like a bad shock to me. A gas shock will be real hard to compress and will extend out to max length on its own. The only other fluid in the truck should be tranny fluid, have you checked the transmission?
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on checking the tranny fluid. When I towed to much weight with my 98 sonoma the trans would heat up pretty good and spray fluid out of tube on the trans. I just refilled it and it was fine for the last year of my lease.
  4. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

It was the shock. I unbolted both rear shocks to compare and found out both are shot. Nice, simple fix.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Awesome! I dont think that you could have asked for a easier fix